At what age should elite hitting mechanics be taught to young batters?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Many on this board advocate that you should review video clips of the best players swings and try to incorporate these elite hitting mechanics into young players swings.

My question is does the age of the batter dictate whether or not some of the higher level swing mechanics and positions should be taught for younger hitters (i.e. 9 YO)?

I had a discussion recently with a hitting instructor about whether or not the hips should be open at POC for my DD and was told that in time the hips will naturally open when she gets better and more experience hitting but did not want to teach opening the hips right now since it could create swing problems later on. The issue I have is that if you look at the best college softball players, every one of them have their hips open at point of contact.

Oct 12, 2009
Many on this board advocate that you should review video clips of the best players swings and try to incorporate these elite hitting mechanics into young players swings.

My question is does the age of the batter dictate whether or not some of the higher level swing mechanics and positions should be taught for younger hitters (i.e. 9 YO)?

I had a discussion recently with a hitting instructor about whether or not the hips should be open at POC for my DD and was told that in time the hips will naturally open when she gets better and more experience hitting but did not want to teach opening the hips right now since it could create swing problems later on. The issue I have is that if you look at the best college softball players, every one of them have their hips open at point of contact.

They've got to be old enough to grasp what you are telling them, which in my experience is 4th or 5th grade.

That gives you plenty of time to make changes before high school.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
What mechanics and positions are you talking about? I have had good luck teaching stance, balance, bat angle, swing plane, contact, finish, extension with players as young as 5 (my son whom I have not worked much with but he is very coachable). I have had good luck teaching players a little older (8yrs) to load and all of the above. get behind them put your hands on theirs and do an assisted matrix drill, if you are teaching the load you will have to forcefully hold their hands back as they step because it takes a little while b4 they get it. Also had good luck w/Howards hand over, and am going to replace my walk thru drill with face the fire.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I think you teach good hitting mechanics right from the beginning. But you have to be realistic in the results you're expecting. Start with the big principles and get them to do those first -- hips lead hands, good body rotation, front shoulder slightly down at toe touch, keep the hands near the shoulder, hit the ball with the fat part of the bat, stuff like that. Don't bother talking about scapula loading, internal rotation, or any of the other subtleties. Start from the big stuff and work your way toward elite as the hitter can handle it. And again, be realistic in your expectations. Albert Pujols likely didn't hit like Albert Pujols when he was eight, and probably wasn't capable of doing it even if someone from the future had gone back and shown him video of himself.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Establish the movement patterns ASAP. Doesn't need to be done in a drill sargent intense way. Have fun with it. Use drills and exercises to promote proper patterns. Breaking a high school kid out of bad habits is difficult. Start 'em young.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
in my limited experience 7 or 8 depending on the kid

Thanks for the responses so far.

If I can summarize some of your opinions: an 8YO, a D1 freshman, and Albert Pujols should all be taught the same hitting mechanics? Do the elite athletes not perfrom more advanced moves and can attain certain swing positions that a young hitter cannot achieve yet because a lack of strength and physical development(i.e. are we putting the cart before the horse)?

Since hitting is one of the most complex actions a player will perform, shouldn't trying to master hitting mechancis be as a process that you build upon over time, starting with a great foundation first and then trying to attain optimum mechanics / positions as you have achieved each step?

For example, when a youngster first learns to pitch, she might take a small stride of say 4 feet to get accustomed to timing the stride with the arm circle. If she tried to take a huge stride like Jennie Finch from day 1, her mechanics and timing would probably be messed up. In this situation, trying to emulate the elite athlete may set the young pitcher back in her development.

My concern is that if we try to speed up the learning process prematurely, might it have negative consequences?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd