At some time you had to pull Nunley right?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Great run by Kentucky, but don't you have to pull Nunley at some stage once she had lost it.

I know they were 'riding' her but once she totally lost it there in the seventh (and I was waiting for them to pull her mid-way through that) there was no way I thought she should have come up for the 8th. Even if you think your pitching bench is empty and not up to it (looking at their season stats it looks like 3 other players had some decent number of innings at a reasonable ERA)

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
She was clearly out of gas after 6. I think they should of put another kid in.

Her dad looked like he finally couldn't stand it and walked away. I don't know that I'd want to watch at that point but I don't think I could walk away from my kid either.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Well Oklahoma started their 3 rd baseman tonight in an elimination game so it's supposed to be all hands on deck.

Kentucky was toast if they got through tonight's game, but.....coach Lawson will be sleeping like a baby tonight - up every 2 hours and crying.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I felt bad for her and you know that she could see her dad. When are coaches going to learn to let the other pitchers get some experience? I betcha Nunley will not be the same, next year.

I am cheering for Shelby Pendley. She was at UofA and suddenly said "See ya." UofA could have used her in the circle, for sure. I wonder if she didn't want to pitch?

Jun 22, 2008
From what the say about her on TV OK coach said something about needing a pitcher. Pendley spoke up and said she could pitch and the coach laughed thinking she was joking. If her reason for leaving AZ was because she didn't want to pitch, she appears to have volunteered to in OK.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No, pitching had nothing to do with her leaving here. I just wonder if she was done with pitching for awhile. And how could 2 top college coaches not know that she could pitch? Anyway, I friended her on Twitter. ��

Mar 26, 2013
It was terrible coaching by Lawson - she didn't even have anyone else warm up. She rode Nunley right into the ground and then some. It wasn't fair/right to Nunley or the rest of the team.

Most coaches would have had someone warm up after Nunley gave up 6 hits in the 6th and changed pitchers in the 7th when it was clear she was too tired to locate her pitches. No rational coach sends here back out for the 8th. Nobody can be successful at that level leaving so many pitches up and over the plate.

Dec 19, 2012
A few things:

Nunely ran out of gas around the 4th or 5th inning. Lawson had a game plan and it ultimately failed, but everyone here has to admit that Kentucky went much farther then they should have, and it probably all has to do with having Nunely in the circle.

If you put in the slowest pitcher you have available, she would have been rocked. The teams in the WCWS are not your typical HS or basic travel team.....they are the best of the best. If they know a pitch is going to come in slow, they will destroy it. These kids totally know how to adjust.

Nunely's dad was not upset that his daughter was getting gassed or that she was being abused by keeping her in the circle. He was pissed about the errors and big hits. In the 8th inning Baylor leads off with a double and the camera catches the dad walking away and picking at his rear. This guy turned his back on his daughter and my guess is she saw it. When Baylor won the game, the camera catches this guy with his hands on his hips with a pissed off look on his face. How about some applause for having a great run???? Show some pride.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan