ASA umpire positions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
In 2 man.

1. Slightly behind F4 and off the left shoulder.

2. Slightly behind F6 and off the left shoulder.

3. Slightly behind F6 and off the right shoulder.

3 man would be different.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
I saw several variations rhis year on 3 man, and i don't understand why they are not in the infield unless they can't get oit of the way, to me that's to far from 1st to do an adequate coverage there

2 man , bu should have 1sr, 2nd, hpu , home and 3rd, that's the way we did it not ASA

tks

young and fast on feet

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I saw several variations rhis year on 3 man, and i don't understand why they are not in the infield unless they can't get oit of the way, to me that's to far from 1st to do an adequate coverage there

2 man , bu should have 1sr, 2nd, hpu , home and 3rd, that's the way we did it not ASA

tks

young and fast on feet

Well, these mechanics have been 75 years in the making and work quite well with experienced umpires.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
being i am a newcomer to ASA THE LAST 3 years i just reflected on past experiences, the distance factor relates to how close MLB umps are and still miss them, sometimes in hunting you have to use scopes to see the target, those have been around for years also, miss also. If you saw the Brewers and cards tonight, good example, close misses also
tks

Jun 22, 2008
You put an umpire inside the diamond on 60' bases and they would constantly be in the way of the defense.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
being i am a newcomer to ASA THE LAST 3 years i just reflected on past experiences, the distance factor relates to how close MLB umps are and still miss them, sometimes in hunting you have to use scopes to see the target, those have been around

Well, I'm not a newcomer. I've been umpiring since 1966 with the first 22 years in baseball and the rest in softball. They are two different games with different fields, equipment and rules. Softball IS NOT baseball and trying to compare the two for mechanics purposes is ludicrous.

Okay, go ahead and move inside. How are you going to watch the runners and insure they do not leave early? You will also be too close to see some of the IPs. You will also be unable to go out on a fly ball or line drive. And you are basically putting yourself in the middle of a possible play.

You haven't discovered anything someone else hasn't already worked on the past 70 years.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
I played them both for years. I officiated WIAA baseball, WIAA softball was not in force here at that time .

I watched and videod a game a year ago, and the BU missed 3 calls on the same girl at FB, the same inning. She left before release 3x he missed all

I have had a consistent debate with UMPS here as why they do not watch that.

When i played ss i always had the runner in the corner of my eye "as a player", just the way i was taught from a kid in FP, BB none existant, however the problem in both games is to get the players to watch the runners miss the bases for appeal, players its easy to see , me as a spectator i see it all the time, if you are not positioned to see that as all calls you miss them regardless of how many years you have officiated,
I brought this up to the commissioner of the league here, his comment "our officials are getting older and some can't move as fast, we need younger ones to get involved".

Well i am not young, and every game i see players missing bases and officials not watching, but if they don't see it they can't call it.

Some has to do with placement and where the play is some has to do with not in the game.

I have seen here that a lot of officials never spent much time on the field as i did to understand where and what to watch,has to do with playing the game also.

It's a fun game, it's a demanding game, it's like a player having to know where and when to back up a play or when you can take an extra base that no one else would.

It is a thinking person's game at all times and you can avoid being in the way if you are thinking.
tks

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I played them both for years. I officiated WIAA baseball, WIAA softball was not in force here at that time .

I watched and videod a game a year ago, and the BU missed 3 calls on the same girl at FB, the same inning. She left before release 3x he missed all

And where was the umpire and what is his priority?

I have had a consistent debate with UMPS here as why they do not watch that.

Who says they do not watch it, and again, where was the umpire and what was his priority?

When i played ss i always had the runner in the corner of my eye "as a player", just the way i was taught from a kid in FP, BB none existant, however the problem in both games is to get the players to watch the runners miss the bases for appeal, players its easy to see , me as a spectator i see it all the time, if you are not positioned to see that as all calls you miss them regardless of how many years you have officiated,

Bull! Myself and many of my colleagues see bases missed all the time. Cannot help it if the players, who you say see it, never make an appeal.

I brought this up to the commissioner of the league here, his comment "our officials are getting older and some can't move as fast, we need younger ones to get involved".

Well i am not young, and every game i see players missing bases and officials not watching, but if they don't see it they can't call it.

Some has to do with placement and where the play is some has to do with not in the game.

I have seen here that a lot of officials never spent much time on the field as i did to understand where and what to watch,has to do with playing the game also.

Actually, players are not easy people to train to be an umpire. I'm sure that you have experienced this at the umpire clinics and schools you have attended over the years. They are too often acting like a player or spectator and failing to get to where they need to be. It usually takes a couple years to break them of that habit.

Players are also weak on signals and proper verbal calls. After more than a decade of training, I have found that players don't move any more and 2/3 of the time, even less than those who dedicate themselves to officiating. And I find that strange because they will sit and complain about umpires not moving and then go on the field themselves and just barely move. Go figure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA