ASA ITB question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
Situation came up bracket play with ITB. Other team's pitcher last possible batter, so other team immediately puts a courtesy runner in for the pitcher in the bottom of the inning. My team wound up holding them the first inning of ITB, but wound up losing in the 2nd inning of ITB. I would of won in the first inning if I had put a courtesy runner in for my catcher who started the inning at 2nd. Good thing I learned this first year of 8u and my daughter will be playing 8u again next year.

Is doing that within the rules, assuming you have a sub available that late in the game?

Jun 22, 2008
Yes, pitcher and catcher are still eligible for courtesy runners, even in a tie breaker. For that matter, any runner you put on base for the tie breaker is eligible to be substituted for.

Jan 22, 2011
Thanks Comp... wish I had thought of it. Some wrinkles involved since it was an 8u bat the entire team tournament, but everything else is applicable.

Proud of my girls. Took the #1 seed who gave up 0 runs in pool day to two innings of ITB and was a bang-bang play away from taking it to a third inning of ITB... feel bad for my daughter, had to stay on the bag for a bad throw, fell to the ground stretching for it, and that jarred the ball loose. Lost 5-4.

We do 3 weeks of practice, then do 4 tournaments over 6 weekends, then are done, for our 8u program.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Yes, pitcher and catcher are still eligible for courtesy runners, even in a tie breaker. For that matter, any runner you put on base for the tie breaker is eligible to be substituted for.

Sub yes, not so sure about CR. Read 8.10.A.1

Jan 22, 2011
Thanks MTR..... two teams from our league are playing in the ASA Western Nationals 'B' the end of Jul and I'll let them know Rule 8.10.A.1 states 'providing the pitcher or catcher bats for themselves and reaches base safely'.

Jun 22, 2008
MTR, on vacation and didnt bring rule book with me. Is that the citation about pitcher and catcher must earn their way onto base? Last I was told at one of the clinics was in a tie breaker situation if the pitcher or catcher were the ones to be placed on base it was considered the same as earning their way onto base and were eligible for courtesy runner. Is there some rules clarification that says differently?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
MTR, on vacation and didnt bring rule book with me. Is that the citation about pitcher and catcher must earn their way onto base? Last I was told at one of the clinics was in a tie breaker situation if the pitcher or catcher were the ones to be placed on base it was considered the same as earning their way onto base and were eligible for courtesy runner. Is there some rules clarification that says differently?

You do understand that DFP relies on you umpires to set us straight, right? Please plan better next time :)

Jun 22, 2008
GM, will do. Was rushed getting out of town, nothing went right. Was trying to leave on Friday, but wife had work to get done and I had things I didnt get finished in time to leave. Then Friday night one of our AC units failed with 115 high on Friday, and 118 expected for Saturday. Never fails, we leave town and the AC dies.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
GM, will do. Was rushed getting out of town, nothing went right. Was trying to leave on Friday, but wife had work to get done and I had things I didnt get finished in time to leave. Then Friday night one of our AC units failed with 115 high on Friday, and 118 expected for Saturday. Never fails, we leave town and the AC dies.

I don't doubt that and actually agree with it. However, this is in the book as a rule housekeeping change and there is nothing in clarifications that make that exception.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors