ASA 2012 Proposed Rule Changes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I’m all for the pitchers learning to pitch correctly and the umpires calling all illegal pitches but I think having the baserunners advance on an IP does not make sense.

It’s my understanding this rule came out of the baseball “balk” rule. In baseball the baserunners take a lead before the pitch is thrown. A balk gives the pitcher an unfair advantage over the baserunner so it makes sense to award a base.

In softball the baserunner can’t leave the base until the pitch is thrown so an IP does not put the baserunner to any disadvantage.

As others have said I think this rule change will result in MORE illegal pitches being called which will help the pitchers learn to pitch in accordance with the rules.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
In softball the baserunner cannot leave the base until the pitch is thrown so an IP does not put the baserunner to any disadvantage.

As others have said I think this rule change will result in MORE illegal pitches being called which will help the pitchers learn to pitch in accordance with the rules.

This is true and the base advance gives many umpires hesitation to make the IP call.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Of course ump should never hesitate to make a call because they don't like the rule. The are paid to enforce ALL of the rules not just the ones the like.

And how did that work when NFHS had a mandatory base advance on an OBS call?

Bottom of 7th, tie game, two outs, bases loaded. R1 gets caught flat-footed and C tries to pick her off, but she is OBS going back to 3B. Game over.

Scenario such as this one is what made NFHS umpires turn a blind eye to some of these acts and in turn some coaches would train their players to block the base as routine.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
And how did that work when NFHS had a mandatory base advance on an OBS call?

Bottom of 7th, tie game, two outs, bases loaded. R1 gets caught flat-footed and C tries to pick her off, but she is OBS going back to 3B. Game over.

Scenario such as this one is what made NFHS umpires turn a blind eye to some of these acts and in turn some coaches would train their players to block the base as routine.

Honestly, how many IPs have you seen and how many of those have you called?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Anyone can propose a rule change. Just because someone's name is attached to it doesn't mean it is their proposal. It could be just that they endorsed it since all proposals must come from a voting council member.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207