As the sun sets

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
My long time friend Cannonball sent me a PM yesterday asking if Alex would be returning to the college arena next season, I've been struggling with the words to post a thread publicly. DFP is a lot cheaper than therapy, so here is the PM reply.

Yes, Alex is done with softball. These are basically Alex's words/thoughts............

The team experience was a emotional roller coaster all year, they had 2 "clicks", and each click didn't like the other.

The conditioning is pretty demanding on your time and body, and then a record of 14-44 makes you think it's not worth it.

Coaches were less than desirable, more socializing than actual coaching.

Her knee was messed up all season, hurt it during the winter conditioning. At first the coach only used her as DH, he would give her a runner when she reached. Then due to other players getting injured, Alex had to play right field full time the last 25 games. After a double header, she'd be in so much pain her hurt leg would literally be shaking.

She did try to pitch one inning towards the end of the season, had to pull herself out due to the knee.

The returning girls re-signed last week, that morning at breakfast I could tell she was sad about it, by dinner she seemed to be over it. She will finish her degree there next year, and then transfer to UT Medical for the final stretch.

Watching the last game was really hard on me. So many "last" things involved in those final 7 innings, last time she would take the field, last at bats, last catches, last base runnings, last time I'd see her glance at me while walking to the batter's box, last time she'd do the post-game lineup, last time I'd watch her put her equipment in her bag. Last time we'd walk away from the fields together with her in uniform.

And yes I'll admit that once she got on the bus and they drove away, I sat in my truck ( alone ), and cried for 10 mins.

Everyone hangs the glove up, we never know when that time will be. Alex and this sport gave me some of the best years of my life, I cherish every memory I have more than any amount of wealth.

Thank you Alex, dad loves you.

First year playing, 5 yo
fbef12ef164faecb98afadb463685909_zpsfe1cc020.jpg
[/IMG]

Middle school
006cb66fa255d1fe436aff4be969c5ec_zps81faeef5.jpg
[/IMG]

High school
998d540d0a796fdfd962863060775a66_zps8a4656f6.jpg
[/IMG]

College
0e3a9514330f7b340620e784300c0f6c_zps9b5c9aab.jpg
[/IMG]

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Congrats to your daughter. Sounds from reading this board over the years she's had a great career. You both are very fortunate.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Thanks for sharing...I got choked up reading that.

I wish you and her the very best...CP

PS: I hope you continue to hang here and post...I enjoy reading your "stuff"

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Thanks GD.
Just thoughts going in my head, but girls, like mine, really need some mentoring. It is tough when you are 14ish and know a majority of people around you would prefer you fail. I hope Alex stays in the sport, just in another aspect. Her best times may still be ahead of her...and her dad.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
GD, so sorry to have it end like that. Alex is a hard charger. This season had to be so tough on her. I followed the team all year long and could read between the lines that she was playing hurt. I knew that if I saw her taking the circle then she would finally be back to her healthy self. At times I wondered if I was just missing something here or there since I'd see her 2 for 3 in a game hitting and yet, not in the circle.

In talking to the one senior on BB's team, I asked her if she would miss playing. She said that she was surprised that she was so torn over it. She said that she loves the game and loved playing. However, she said that she was ready to get on with her life and get a job doing what she wants to do the rest of her life. I'm sure Alex is the same. The great thing about Alex being a hard charger is that she will carry that over to work in the medical field. It helps so much that she has parents that have been there for her through thick and thin and who she knows always supports her. Congratulations to Alex on a great softball career!

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Thanks GD....looks like you have a pretty nice "photo album" from these softball years. As you look through the years of photos I'm sure you will recall many emotional and blessed times....and I'm also pretty sure those moments are double for your DD; you just may not realize it.

You, your wife and your family have obviously done a phenomenal job raising your DD to see her in the position she is in, with a bright future ahead of her. We all say, we do this for our kids....and seeing the pics of your DD, the choices that had to be made and where she is in life you obviously always had her interests at the top.

Put this photo album away...but keep taking pictures as I'm sure many more albums will be made in the years to come.

I wish you, your DD and your family much success and happiness.

All the best,

TJ

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
sad1.jpg

sad3.jpg

sad4.jpg

OMG. But seriously...I will do same as you. The memories you have of Alex and softball will be treasured for the rest of your (and her) life. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences...they are very much appreciated.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Thank you everyone for the kind words, I think of you all as my extended family. One of my most favorite things to do daily is to read and follow all of your travels down Fastpitch Lane. There are stretches of smooth fresh asphalt, a few potholes, speed bumps, and the occasional wrong turn. The "journey" is where you find yourself, where you bond with your family, where you plan for the next 100 miles, where you learn and teach how to deal with obstacles.

Funny the little things you remember. Ever since she was young, when we'd be gassing up at 7am for the road trip to some ballpark, when she saw a family with their boat in tow, she'd say "wish we were going to to the lake". With the schedule of "ball", a boat just wasn't a option. Over the last week I've been thinking of surprising her with a ski boat for us this summer. Maybe I'm just going thru a mid-life crisis and grabbing for anything to spend time together?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck