Are we raising a generation of wimp?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I was told about this here on the forum and on other sites but now i see it for myself, this over protecting of kids by parents. I am trying to run a 9u allstar tourney for the 4 organizations in our rec league. From one coach I hear " if you are using a regular 11' ball, some of my parents don't want to play." We use the regular squishy ball in the regular league. I have seen other things too. I want to hear your Horror Stories. This is my second year coaching in rec after a 16 year layoff. Why don't we just put them all in body armor!

Feb 9, 2009
One of my biggest peeves that will get my eyes rolling every time is when a batter is hit by the pitch....
Maybe it's because I'm a girl, but those little sweeties do NOT need all 5 of you coaches to run to her, and cater to her, and tell her that you know (and I'm doing this in an icky-sticky sweetums voice) "it hurt so bad! Are you gonna be ok, honey? If you need to go sit in the dugout until the owwies go away, it's okay with us..we're sure the umpire will let someone else go in and run for you!"
I mean, COME ON!!!! Rub a little dirt on it!!!! If it rains, she will NOT MELT!

Mar 15, 2010
One of my biggest peeves that will get my eyes rolling every time is when a batter is hit by the pitch....
Maybe it's because I'm a girl, but those little sweeties do NOT need all 5 of you coaches to run to her, and cater to her, and tell her that you know (and I'm doing this in an icky-sticky sweetums voice) "it hurt so bad!...!

Yesterday my DD got drilled in the back by a fastball in the at bat after she took the pitcher yard on a 3 run homer. Probably intentional. I started to walk up to my DD and she put her hand up to stop me and yelled loud enough that everyone could hear, "Don't worry it was only her change up, barely felt it". She really got to that pitcher as she walked the next 3 batters and had a complete melt down when her coach pulled her. Not to worry there are still girls out there that are tough.

Oct 19, 2009
Had one of my 10U players start crying and making a fuss over getting hit in the forearm by a pitch last week. I was coaching third so I walked up to her, looked at her arm and yelled in the dugout "get my saw; we're going to have to amputate". She immediately quit crying and started to laugh then trotted down to first.

Feb 9, 2009
Had one of my 10U players start crying and making a fuss over getting hit in the forearm by a pitch last week. I was coaching third so I walked up to her, looked at her arm and yelled in the dugout "get my saw; we're going to have to amputate". She immediately quit crying and started to laugh then trotted down to first.

OMG, I LOVE YOU!!
Can I borrow this?????

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
We had a girl take a hard slide when covering 3B. She said she was ok,
but I could see in her face she was hurt. She cried when she came to dugout,
but was batting second that inning. She stepped to the plate crying and smacked
a double into LC. By the time she scored, the pain was magically gone.
Great kid, nice player but a wimp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06