Are there really leagues that draft completely from scratch every year?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
Somewhere in here was a sentence regarding players who miss the evals, but I can't seem to track it down. What to do with those? What about parents who have their kids sandbag?

marriard addressed kids missing tryouts in post #7 of this thread

As for the sandbagging... Yes, it could happen, but it'll be rare and won't have any real impact your league.
I wouldn't waste your time worrying about it

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Having thought about it a bit, I'd suggest sending out a brief summary or highlights of your objectives and planned changes in advance of the meeting that will be held to discuss changes for next year. It will make it clear that you have a comprehensive, well-thought out plan in place that may never get fully presented if you spring it on everybody for the first time at the meeting and things go off the rails!

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
marriard addressed kids missing tryouts in post #7 of this thread

As for the sandbagging... Yes, it could happen, but it'll be rare and won't have any real impact your league.
I wouldn't waste your time worrying about it

Around here, it's not all that rare. Coach tells all the girls he wants to sandbag tryouts, so only he knows they are good and they are available. Add to that the coaches DD sandbagging, so he retains a pick in the round she should have gone and it's dead simple to put 4-5 sleepers on a team, and get another 2-3 known studs with the picks available in the early rounds.

You can try to use previous year's eval's to balance out the sandbagging, but if coach Sandbag had a team last year, he will also have given low eval numbers to the players he wants to sandbag. Parents go along with this cr@p because they love coach Sandbag, and he has treated their kid so well, and they can WIN.

The local league also had to add a rule that a girl had to pitch in tryouts, or she could not pitch during the season because coaches were hiding pitchers. Of course she can still sandbag her P tryout.

Returning coaches will have a better sense of who's worth what, but your new coaches will get worked.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
Around here, it's not all that rare. Coach tells all the girls he wants to sandbag tryouts, so only he knows they are good and they are available. Add to that the coaches DD sandbagging, so he retains a pick in the round she should have gone and it's dead simple to put 4-5 sleepers on a team, and get another 2-3 known studs with the picks available in the early rounds.

That's really kinda sad. What parents will do amazes me sometimes.

I guess the fact that most of our managers either coach travel, or at least have kids that play travel, mitigates most of that happening with us. Most seem to know who the better players are and have their "wishlist" before tryouts even occur.

Feb 3, 2011
It's rare to have no returning officers in an average-sized league. When it comes to coaches trying to hide players in the draft (telling them to sandbag or telling their parents not to bring them to tryouts), that's when your officers have to step in not only to make sure that the known top-level talent is available to all coaches, but also that your brand-new coaches are made aware of who they are so that they're not just drafting blind. Not every new (or returning!) coach will listen to your suggestions, but at least they should have the information. Of course, even then the process can become corrupted, because it's often your board members who will be attempting to manipulate the system, something people like me won't tolerate...meaning yes, I will call you out.

If a pitcher doesn't pitch at tryouts AND isn't a listed pitcher when you draft, she should be limited to 1 inning per game all season.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
So cal large league (and league size shouldn't matter) we do draft from scratch every year.. Player agent and other coaches will ensure no sandbagging takes place... All star players are fully disclosed to all managers... Pitchers and catchers get drafted first... If you didn't try out for either you don't get to pitch at all first half of season.... Goal of rec is to balance teams not to get free reps and no challenge for coach shmucks all star team can't wait for travel primadonas.... Amazing there's leagues out there that "keep girls together" - so if I get coach idiot in 8u I'm stuck with him for years? There will be enough of that in travel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aug 12, 2014
Buckeye, since your league is so large, have you given any thought to using 1 year age groupings? That could help even things up a bit.

Aug 12, 2014
You'd have the same number of teams. Instead of having 12 10U teams you'd have 6 9U and 6 10U or however many teams you have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi