Another What's the Call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2012
Illinois
My 12U DD was pitching Saturday, 0-2 count, batter leans in and does a 3/4 swing at a screwball, which in turn hits her dead in the ribs. Dead ball is called as she goes down in the batter's box. There is no question that she swung the bat from either coach. What's the correct call? This is a USSSA Qualifier by the way. I'll give the actual ruling on the field once I get some other opinions.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Dead ball (the ball is dead anytime a pitch touches a batter).

Strike (it's a strike anytime the batter swings at a pitch and misses it).

Batter out (because it's strike three).

Jun 8, 2012
Illinois
So, after a 10 minute delay with the PU conferring with tournament director, UIC, and making a phone call to 'someone' he rules it dropped 3rd strike and batter awarded 1st base since she wasn't tagged by the catcher. And of course she was one of only two base runners they had all game and she scores on a single and two fly balls to the outfield. We lose 1-0

But, we run ruled them in bracket play on Sunday and sent them home. So, that made us feel a bit better.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Hurray, justice prevailed!

So let's see, the plate ump, the field ump, the TD, the UIC, and the umpire authority on the phone - that's 5 in total who presumably didn't/couldn't read the rule book or interpret a very simple rule! And the fine umpires here on DFP want to know the collective DFP we doesn't hold all umpires in the same esteem!i

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55