Another rookie mistake, but record now 2-1

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
I'll spare you the full game report (for now!), but I committed a serious error in Saturday's game. When the scorekeeper's exchanged lineups at 5 minutes before game time, I was unaware that we were missing a player. It wasn't until our first batter was up that I realize she wasn't there. We have an experienced scorekeeper, but she'd never encountered that before, so I told her we'd have to take an out for each of those at-bats. A couple of our parents were bummed and the players didn't really understand the rule, but our biggest concerns were making sure she was ok and going out and winning the game.

Another parent called in to let me know her girls were running late, so I moved them to the bottom of the lineup, but didn't even think to make sure everyone else was present.

It didn't matter, though. Including the 2 automatic outs, they only recorded 5 total outs in the game. 2 K's, 1 put out.

On the other side, our girls struck out 6, tagged a runner going home, and then my #3 catcher caught a runner stealing 3rd on a passed ball to end the ballgame. That was, by far, my favorite play of the season. Mojo's mom asked would catcher have thrown the ball if I wasn't yelling '3! 3! 3!'? Maybe not, but the play was made because she didn't just give up on the PB.

Why am I so excited about a 2-1 rec league record? Because my DD has never been on a winning team before. lol

Im surprised in rec ball there wasn't an agreement between you 2 coaches to redo the line up!!?? As a 'rookie' i'm glad you learned to take attendance before handing over your line up :)
congrats on being 2-1....keep it rolling

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
In rec ball I would expect the other coach to agree to let you move her to the bottom of the order and then remove her from the lineup with no automatic outs if she doesn't show up.

Feb 3, 2011
Thanks! You're right, as my only frame of reference was in the previous winterball season which, because it was interleague play, was more competitive. In this case, the other coach had just lost his ace (that he drafted with the #1 overall pick) a day before, so they weren't looking to offer any leniency.

Thankfully, our player is ok, but is just dealing with a difficult family medical situation right now, something that many of us will experience in our lives. Her mother did email me before the start of the game, but I did not see it until afterward. The iphone preview said 'at the hospital' and my heart stopped for a brief moment before I realized they were talking about her grandfather. I'm still very sad for her, though, because of the years of memories they won't get to build with one another. :(

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Email is OK a day before but not game day. As a coach I would ask the parents to call if something like this comes up. that way you can change the line up prior to game start.

BTW, there will be more "serious" mistakes as you learn.... I've made plenty and each time I tell the team where I messed up and what I should have done.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1