Another Interference Question (They're like Lays Potato Chips...Can't Have Just One)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
R1 on 1, 1 out.
R1 takes normal lead on the pitch, but B1 hits high pop up to 1 (like within a foot or two of the bag).
R1 retreats back to 1 but makes contact with F3 on her way as F3 steps back to adjust to the ball and prepare to make the catch. BU immediately calls interference on R1, then F3 makes the catch.
Final call - R1 was out for the interference and B1 was awarded 1.

Was that the right call? HC on defensive team felt that both should have been out - R1 on the interference, B1 on catch. Ultimately did not impact game outcome, as next batter grounded out.

- TMD

Jun 22, 2008
What rule set? Its going to make a difference. In most rule sets it is an immediate dead ball on the interference call, the player committing the interference is out and the batter/runner would be awarded 1st base. Once the dead ball was declared for the interference, nothing can happen after that, the catch is immaterial.

In ASA, if the umpire judges the ball to be catchable with normal effort, then both the runner committing the interference and the batter/runner would be out.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
Sorry...this was ASA. Ball certainly looked to be catchable with normal effort. Would have been an Infield Fly rule all day long if there was a runner on 2.

Nov 1, 2013
The differences in rule sets can be frustrating to spectators, coaches and even umpires. What is true in one rule set is not true in another. Talk about confusing at times.

I know I pregame my Rule Difference booklet as I work a different rule set.