Yep, another Interference question.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
Runner on 2nd, there was a pop up to SS. Runner from 2nd bumped into SS (or could of been other way), anyhow, SS made the catch and runner got back to 2nd. The field umpire signaled the interference, then he just let the play stand, batter out, runner back on 2nd. No one said anything. Was that correct?

May 10, 2021
The umpire signaled interference? Usually its a verbal call: "time" or "dead ball that's interference"

An interference call kills the play. If it was called the runner on 2nd that interfered is out and the batter/runner is on 1st.

Anybody have anything else?

I am curious what the signal for interference used was??

Hope this helps

Aug 25, 2019
Well, I only question why would the batter be on first if the SS caught the ball?.....If anything, I believe the runner should be out, and the batter still up. Usually on ground balls the batter gets first.

The signal was the left arm out in a fist, no verbalization. He was an old timey lazy umpire. I was the plate umpire. I thought his ruling was wrong, but since the coaches didn't argue, I wasn't going to argue with him.

May 10, 2021
Left arm out in a fist is a delayed dead ball....that would be appropriate for obstruction, illegal pitch etc.... Not the right mechanic for interference.

Many times umpires confuse interference and obstruction.

Yes the batter runner would be placed on first after the interference call.

Jan 11, 2015
Well, I only question why would the batter be on first if the SS caught the ball?.....If anything, I believe the runner should be out, and the batter still up. Usually on ground balls the batter gets first.

The signal was the left arm out in a fist, no verbalization. He was an old timey lazy umpire. I was the plate umpire. I thought his ruling was wrong, but since the coaches didn't argue, I wasn't going to argue with him.
Which rules were you using?

Here is a question for you, why did you as the plate umpire not call it? Did you see the interference?

Oct 11, 2018

The signal was the left arm out in a fist, no

In USA Softball both the runner and batter would be out. Pretty sure this is unique to USA. Rule 8.5.J.

verbalization. He was an old timey lazy umpire. I was the plate umpire. I thought his ruling was wrong, but since the coaches didn't argue, I wasn't going to argue with him.

The umpire signaled interference? Usually its a verbal call: "time" or "dead ball that's interference"

An interference call kills the play. If it was called the runner on 2nd that interfered is out and the batter/runner is on 1st.

Anybody have anything else?

I am curious what the signal for interference used was??

Hope this helps
In USA softball both the runner and batter are out on this play. Pretty sure its unique to USA rules. Rule 8.7.J. if its a routine fly ball, batter is also out. Again, this may be unique to USA rules.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
In USA softball both the runner and batter are out on this play. Pretty sure its unique to USA rules. Rule 8.7.J. if its a routine fly ball, batter is also out. Again, this may be unique to USA rules.

Yes, true for USA, but USSSA f'rinstance it's just the runner who is out.

Mar 1, 2013
Forget that F6 caught the ball. If interference was signaled - it didn't happen because the ball is dead and nothing happens during a dead ball.

On the INT call, the runner should be out. As noted above, in USA (8.7.J.1 effect F) the batter is also out if it was a routine fly ball (fair or foul) that could be caught with normal effort. It sounds like it here. So, in USA, you have two outs on the play. Other codes have different effects, but I believe in all codes, you have the runner out no matter what.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad