Another day in trophy chasing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
2 - There are girls out there who love the game, but honestly will never be on that next level. If they are C class and stay that way thru 18U, who cares. They are enjoying the game and playing at a level that they are capable of competing. Sometime I feel like we as a community can be snobs and look down on those who not are playing for the college scholarship, but just because they love the game.
Around here the teams that have kids who are going to play in college don't play very many (if any) alphabet org sanctioned tournaments which is probably why there are so few C team classifications in 16's/18's.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Here in OK, after 14U there are very few teams classified as C in USSSA. Last season there were 3 in 16's and none in 18. On the otherhand in 14's there were 19, in 12's there were 31 and in 10's there were 32. Teams self-classify and very rarely does USSSA re-classify.

DD's team is classified as 12B for 2021 but in the Fall are playing in 2 out-of-state tournaments with some of the best 12U teams in the country. The rest of the (local) tournaments in the Fall are Open tournaments so in the Fall they could have classified as 12A and not have it effect their schedule. I guess in the Spring he might play a few B tournaments (they are not good enough to dominate good B teams) which is probably why he classified as 12B.
Seems similar coach decides ABC
or like here, no label coach picks what venue.

Jun 8, 2016
Seems similar coach decides ABC
or like here, no label coach picks what venue.
Well if you are going to play a USSSA sanctioned event (which I think in CA isn't really a thing..) then you need to classify as something..The two out of state events are a PGF tournament in MO and a non-sanctioned event in TX. At 12's there are not enough good non-sanctioned local events to not play any USSSA here in OK.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Ooohh so lots of tolerance expended?!
💁 is that what its called? :) 😤😰😡
? Not following..

Edit: I suppose they could play out of state every weekend but at 12's, to me at least, that is a bit much. You guys in SoCal wouldn't understand.. 😛

Jun 8, 2016
Team in your area not good enough to play outside of usssa...
Have to be tolerant of competition level ;)
See my Edit above. I would say that the best teams around here at 12's (with the exception of maybe 1 team and that is a stretch perhaps as well) cannot compete on the National level. To be honest if teams , outside of CA and maybe TX, want to compete at the National level for the most part they need to be teams which draw from multiple states. There are teams at 12's which do this (Mojo, Bandits, Thunderbolts are 3 that I know of). DD's team actually has a kid from KS now but I don't think that will put them over the top unfortunately :LOL:

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
2 - There are girls out there who love the game, but honestly will never be on that next level. If they are C class and stay that way thru 18U, who cares. They are enjoying the game and playing at a level that they are capable of competing. Sometime I feel like we as a community can be snobs and look down on those who not are playing for the college scholarship, but just because they love the game.

This is a bullseye. Most HS teams in my area are lucky to have 4-5 travel players, the rest are just girls who are good athletes but not serious about softball. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Kids who have other priorities or maybe even lack the financial or parental resources to play high-level TB can still love the game and should have a place to play.

Frankly, the best people we’ve met through DD’s softball journey are the ones who are there because they love to play the game. The mercenary girls and parents who jump around in constant search of challenge and opportunity are rarely missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
This is a bullseye. Most HS teams in my area are lucky to have 4-5 travel players, the rest are just girls who are good athletes but not serious about softball. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Kids who have other priorities or maybe even lack the financial or parental resources to play high-level TB can still love the game and should have a place to play.

Frankly, the best people we’ve met through DD’s softball journey are the ones who are there because they love to play the game. The mercenary girls and parents who jump around in constant search of challenge and opportunity are rarely missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But isn't that what rec ball is designed for?

Apr 1, 2017
But isn't that what rec ball is designed for?
Honestly no, at least not around here.

My daughters team start a couple years ago as mostly a group of girls from rec that wanted to play more games. Think they won 6 games that season.... Last summer, as a USSSA 'C' team, playing a C/low B schedule, won about 60% of games. Definitely not "world beaters", but won some games and had fun. I see our local rec league games because my son umps them. The difference in level of play is 30??? runs if the teams played each other.

My daughters team is going to 15u this fall. Don't think there is a player on it thinking about softball in college, they just want to play.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30