Another A2000 break in thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
Couldn’t pass on a deal for a A2000 for my 10U daughter (https://www.baseballmonkey.com/clea...h-softball-glove-2019-a2000-ma14-gm-1225.html)

I know it’s a lot of glove to break in for a 10U player, but the ol’Jenny Finch Mizuno, while still in decent shape, just seemed too small (and was getting floppy), even if it was a 12” glove.

I’m (barely) resisting the urge to start pounding away at it before it even goes under the tree. At my disposal, I have some Vinci glove conditioner from my catchers mitt, some obenauf’s “Heavy Duty LP” (which did wonders to also restore some beat-up black dress shoes), lexol cleaner, lexol conditioner (found a 2-pack in Ross/TJ Maxx - I think the spray bottle is discontinued, just the squeeze cap now), and Surf City Voodoo conditioner (for when I finally get the guts to start restoring my dads glove).

Aside from the Obenauf’s for the inside, what other treatment would you use? One application of the Lexol Conditioner or Voodoo? Coating of the Vinci conditioner (following the instructions that came with the Vinci glove)?
Hot water in the palm, then commence beating with the mallet and weights?

Glove wrap should arrive Tuesday to help with shaping.

Thanks as always for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
It doesn't matter if it's a catchers mitt or a fielding glove, I break them in the same way. I take a bath towel, pour a quarter to half cup of water on it and throw it in the dryer with the mitt/glove on medium heat for 5 minutes. No more than that otherwise you'll soften the plastic stiffeners and ruin the glove/mitt. Once you pull it from the dryer, immediately apply a quality glove conditioner such as the Vinci or Mizuno Strong Oil. Then go to town with the mallet and working the heel of the glove/mitt. When done, put a ball in the pocket, wrap it, put it under the mattress and sleep on it for a couple of nights. If it needs more break-in, work the heel more by hand and the pocket with the mallet. You can put it in the dryer again with the towel if desired but don't add more conditioner for another 2 weeks at least. Once you have it to the point you want, then you can add whatever you care to put on it. That said, I never put anything on after. It makes the glove heavier than it needs to be IMO. I do however use the Lexol once every 6 months or so.

Dec 11, 2010
I always fold up a bath towel to create a padded work station, set it on the floor and sit on the floor. I put a heavy leather work glove on my hand for padding and use a softball to beat a pocket into the new glove on the folded up towel.

I use dd’s old glove to see where she has the thumb meet pinky. I try not to overdo it.

There are youtube vids of some guy who does that for mlb guys.

ETA: Found it. Search “Wilson’s Aso“. Here’s one:

Also I do a relace of strap for dd’s small hands.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
I second following the Aso video for A2000 break in. DD just designed and grandma ordered a custom A2000 for her birthday and I plan to follow that break in method, as it worked for her 2 previous A2000’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
I do it old school -- lots and lots of playing catch, lots of tugging on it, and wrap it when not using.

I don't ever want to have to break in a glove in a day/week. I want to plan to have many weeks to break it in. Not always possible for sure, but playing catch with your DD is a joy, and a great way to break in a glove.

Nov 18, 2015
Thanks for the responses.

Lots of catch was always in the plans. Have also watched all the Aso videos - talk about a dream job! I guess my primary curiosity is to see if anyone uses the lexol/surf city conditioners to help with break in, vs. just for reconditioning.

Also hoping to see if the stiffer glove will encourage my daughter to switch to TIP (two in pinky) to gain leverage.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying