Almost new... formal introduction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 11, 2016
I had been lurking around the forum for a while, but decided it was time for me to start contributing.

My DD started playing rec town softball about a year and a half ago, at a relative "late" age of 12, and she loved it so much that she had not stopped playing since then (literally). Her progress had been exponential.

Since she started "late", we took her to Planet Fastpitch in Uxbridge, MA so that they help her accelerate her skills, with the intention of catching up to other players at town ball. Well, I think we overshot and she became so good that rec town softball is not competitive anymore for her.

Last year we took her to a travel team tryout for the 2016 season that plays 12U-A and they offered her a spot immediately after the tryout (we only did one). She was one of four catchers in the team initially, in the end she pushed herself to be the #1 catcher for the team.

After this travel ball season, she ended up with a .400 batting average (second in the team), also had the most hits, doubles and runs scored, and tied in triples. She was normally batting 1st or 2nd in the batting order. She has this instinct at bat that I can't understand how she developed in such a short time. She adapts well, and oh... don't throw her a change up, because she will adjust and hit it hard.

Defensively, as a catcher, she did amazingly well. In one game, she threw out 3 girls at second base and one at 3rd (we didn't know why they kept sending them to steal). One of the highlights was having coaches from other team one time coming to us and telling her "we had played 38 games and we had only 3 girls thrown out at second, and you threw out 3 in this game...". She is also throwing out girls at 3rd from her knees.

She is now moving up to 14U, and the director of the organization she was in told her that they wanted her even before the tryouts.

She have had a lot of training from Planet Fastpitch (Futures Program, Advanced throw and Arm Care program, now she is going to their Varsity Program). Also the New England Catching Camp.

But more than this, she has the desire and determination to always get better.

So proud of what she had been able to accomplish in only 1 year and a half. When we tell people that she had been playing for this short period of time, the react in awe.

That's my brag...

Last edited:

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
Congrats! Your dd is a perfect example of hard work and dedication to a sport she loves! Mine was also 12 when she started rec for the first time, and we just got back from PGF Nationals with her 2nd year 14u team, and that ended her very first full season with a team. She celebrated her 15th bday there.

Hard work is everything when the kids are natural athletes. It sounds like your dd is kicking butt and taking names! Remind her that Cat Osterman started at 11, and Shawna Wright (UW WCWS Champion Catcher) wasn't even a catcher until high school! Kids can accomplish anything if they're never told different! 😊

Big high 5's!!!!!!

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2016
The DD got the call this morning after trying out yesterday. She got a spot on the 14U team where she was last season (she is moving up).

She considered other organizations but I'm glad that she will be in this team because she will see more action and learn more.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles