Albert P

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2009
Does his drill to you guys/gals look like his swing on the outside pitches? To me that is the challenge when showing kids isolation drills. If I show them the drill they feel like they have to in this case for example exagerate the push arm movement without hips and where the angle of the rear elbow changes and straightens immediately and the hands work forward as we see in the original post which is way different than the real swings. What is the benefit?

His swing on outside pitches looks NOTHING like the one he demos. It's identical, except that his back elbow gets away from his body more and the angle opens up a bit.

I have video if people want to see it.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
His swing on outside pitches looks NOTHING like the one he demos. It's identical, except that his back elbow gets away from his body more and the angle opens up a bit.

I have video if people want to see it.

Chris this has nothing to do with you or your reply and is not directed at you....

How could AP commit the ultimate sin of doing something in practice he would not do exactly in a game situation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This would be breaking all the rules of an MLB Elite Swing Pattern.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe like the Big Zone and the martix drill, it drives a point home between the hitter and instructor that gets that light bulb moment to happen!

That would be like an atheist saying Oh! My God, I got it!

However then again their is always golf and what it feels like to hit a ball off a tee.

Do you have any clips of AP or any one in the top 10 making any mistakes at the plate?

Thanks Howard

Sorry! I could not resist!

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
How could AP commit the ultimate sin of doing something in practice he would not do exactly in a game situation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?????????????

Maybe like the Big Zone and the martix drill, it drives a point home between the hitter and instructor that gets that light bulb moment to happen!

Yes, that is what I was asking for discussion on. What is the lighbulb moment that a player would get watching that first clip. Since it was posted and it is one of the worlds greatest hitters the question is what would that isolation movement teach a young player and how might they apply the principle without duplicating the movement when actually hitting in a game.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
The point is that good hitters don't always understand their own swings and/or don't demo them well.

From the net...."(Scientists have discovered that there are a large number of internal brain structures which work together with the input and output brain structures to form fleeting images in the mind. Using these images, we learn to interpret input signals, process them, and formulate output responses in a deliberate, conscious, way.)
But after a while, the "seeing-thinking-doing" gradually becomes "seeing-doing" because your muscles seem to "know" and "remember" just what to do. What you're learning now is speed, i.e. how to perform the task carefully and quickly. That's muscle memory."

"Scientists call this "kinesthetic memory" or "neuro-muscular facilitation" and they speak of "sensory-motor" learning, since you are combining sensing input, i.e. what you see with your eyes, with motor output, i.e. what you do with your body."

"Of course, during the "drill-and-practice", your muscles aren't really memorizing anything (since all memories are stored in your brain). Instead, what you see with your eyes is interpreted by your brain in the form of nerve signals to your muscles to make your body move."

"Now by making the same movements in response to the same visual cues over and over again, the associated nerve-muscle connections gradually become more effective, i.e. the transmission of the signals becomes more effective, and this is how the "thinking" in the "seeing-thinking-doing" is gradually replaced by "seeing-doing", i.e. by muscle memory. Psychologists call this process "consolidation".

WE CALL THIS SEE IT, FEEL IT AND FIX IT! And sometimes what YOU see is not what is taking place and can be mis understood especially if YOU do not understand the progression or process of the drills or instruction taking place.

Movement Errors Caused at the Perceptual Level

"At the initial learning stage, a student commonly makes movement errors by misunderstanding the proper structure of the skill. In other words, while learning, a student is sometimes unable to fully understand the teacher's instructions. With an improper image of the skill, the student's motor cortex will send inaccurate signals to the related muscle groups, reducing movement errors. A student's misunderstanding of the skill can result from any of several potential causes."

"Teachers commonly use verbal instruction to teach students about limb positions, proper stance, what to watch and listen for, and how to perform a particular skill. The goal at this stage is to provide the student with the right image of the skill as a guide for practice. Intellectual ability plays an important role in understanding the skill; therefore, some students may understand instructions quicker than others because of individual differences of intellectual abilities. Similarly, the student's motivation and attention span can affect learning. If the student has a limited memory capacity, a lengthy instruction can cause confusion, especially when the student is learning a complex skill."

"All of these factors can impair the student's ability, to conceptualize the correct image of the skill."

Thanks Howard

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30