age to begin throwing to bases

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2014
at what age/age group should a team throw to bases for an out as opposed to trying to outrun the opponent
we are a u6 team with half the players moving up and we occasionally throw to first base only.
does a team need to be good to attempt or does a team become good by attempting.

Jun 24, 2013
If that are racing a runner to a base for a force out, like the 3rd baseman running and stepping on 3rd, that is OK. Otherwise have them throw it to 1st; it is OK if sometimes the ball only gets ½ way there.

Nov 15, 2013
at what age/age group should a team throw to bases for an out as opposed to trying to outrun the opponent
we are a u6 team with half the players moving up and we occasionally throw to first base only.
does a team need to be good to attempt or does a team become good by attempting.

You should know by watching them practice. If their practice doesn't consist of at least 80% throwing and catching, (in my opinion) you're doing it wrong.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

Aside from ground ball to the pitcher w/ bases loaded, how often does this situation arise in 6U? I can't think of another common occurrence where a fielder would have a legit throw and choose instead to out-run the runner. But it's been awhile since I watched or coached 6U.

May 11, 2014
in our games, with a runner on any base(no matter the outs), we set up for the force out. i'm not the coach by the way. i feel if you can field a batted ball you can field a thrown ball.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
in our games, with a runner on any base(no matter the outs), we set up for the force out. i'm not the coach by the way. i feel if you can field a batted ball you can field a thrown ball.

I agree w/ your last statement. You certainly want to encourage the throw. But I'm just trying to figure when and where this comes up. What I remember even in 8U is that if you have a runner on 1B and a grounder to SS that it's pretty hard to have the second baseman get to the bag in time for the force and therefore the play is generally to first. Or do you station a player on second base ahead of time? But in any event, I'm all for getting them to throw the ball. Another issue that comes up is the strategic decision to hold the ball at SS if there's a play at first to avoid the batter/runner getting to 2B. We had a rule in our rec league that didn't allow the runner to get an extra base in that scenario just so the defense would be encouraged to throw the ball.

May 11, 2014
i agree about 2nd base throw being iffy and no we dont station anyone at second. if you cant beat the runner you just hold them there to keep the force at 3rd. we need a rule like that because now its get all you can get on a passed ball. i can see the coaches reluctance to throw (give up runs,lose the game), i just wonder if in the long run it hurts the kids(afraid to make a mistake)

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
, i just wonder if in the long run it hurts the kids(afraid to make a mistake)

Yes, IMO. Any strategy to win at 6U game at the expense of development is probably a mistake. ... Some leagues have rules where you can't roll the ball to first base. That's to prevent coaches who decide it's better to get an out rolling the ball to first than to risk having them try it the right way.

As far as rules go, there is a small dilemma. If you allow no advancement on any kind of overthrow, then some will argue that you're slowing the development of the skill of base-running. So sometimes you compromise and say only one base on an overthrow.

But if I were coaching 6U again (and would probably love it, if I had time), I'd rather have 20 throwouts and 2 wins than vice-versa.

May 11, 2014
i really believe it has affected our fielding a whole lot and throwing to a smaller degree. cant field and run at the same time efficiently

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA