After separation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Extra points if you remember Don Slaught's MLB nickname

"Sluggo"????

What do I win?;)

4063 total at bats. 77 HRs:confused: If that nickname is correct, how did he get it with those stats? He was a singles hitter with a 283 lifetime batting average.

I like how he ties in the overhand throw motion with the hitting sequence. However. I'll sick with Ted when it comes to the finer points of the swing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Here is a good example of how the overhand throw motion can be adopted to hitting. Check out what Slaught says and does at about the 1:02 mark. Notice how he is holding the bat with just his back hand. What if you were to get a small 25 inch 15 ounce tee-ball bat and have the girls do this? You may even have them literally throw the bat through the air. If done correctly the bat will fly over where the pitcher would be standing, like a helicopter blade. If the bat pin-wheels instead, then you know that their rear elbow is not getting down correctly.

If the girls throw the bat correctly, the lower body will automatically do what it needs to do to assist the hands. Try it yourself and you will see that your hips naturally get out in front to power the throw. As Slaught mentions, the throw is more of a sidearm throw. My experience is that the bicep to forearm pinch will naturally tighten up when the lead hand is added to the mix (both hands holding the bat).

IMO, Don demonstrates a healthy sequence of Coil-Stretch.

10nibd4.gif

Don dynamically sets his posture ... and it is synchronized with his coil.

Here Don starts from an open stance ... but we still see the Coil-Stretch sequence.
- He coils INTO his rear hip while setting his posture ... and lowering his hands somewhat.
- Then lifts his foot to stride and stretch ... notice that he uses BHUT to arrive at launch.

2gy3zb4.gif

Here Don demonstrates a slightly different sequence in terms of his front leg use ... but we still see the Coil-Stretch sequence.
- He first lifts his front leg
- Then coils while setting his posture.
- Stretch to launch.

14vnzvo.gif

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
"Sluggo"???? WINNER WINNER
What do I win?;) CHICKEN DINNER coming by PM - lol
4063 total at bats. 77 HRs:confused: If that nickname is correct, how did he get it with those stats? He was a singles hitter with a 283 lifetime batting average. SOME TEAMMATE MUST HAVE HAD A GOOD SENSE OF HUMOR OR MAYBE IT WAS FROM THE NANCY & SLUGGO CARTOONI like how he ties in the overhand throw motion with the hitting sequence. ME TOO

tencharacters

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog