Affordable equipment.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It will do a lot better in her hands than the trunk of my car. Neither the girl or her dad has any idea about one bat vs. another. Hopefully, they'll figure it out one day, and pay it forward.

I like it - "pay it forward"!!!

Jan 17, 2014
Middle America
I get asked all the time what bat someone should buy, what glove, etc. and I really dont know the right thing to say. Obviously, you can go out at buy a Xeno, etc. at $300 per, but what are the best items that are affordable.

My girls are 10u so I have a hard time recommending this expensive stuff, and frankly cannot afford it myself.
Buy daughter needs a new bat, new glove, etc.

Any recommendations?

Bat: around $100? I dont know what is the right range to look for here. Obviously $50 is a standard bat, but $300 is extreme - any ideas?
Glove: $50? $75?

Thanks for your help

DD used a Rawlings all leather shell model 12.5 for 10u. It had a synthetic web in the pocket that said 3D web. It was actually leather, really light, inexpensive (45-50), and she loved it. I remember She was so impressed with how the ball stuck in a leather glove over a synthetic. She would have me "juice" it before big games with nokona grease and set it in the sun to dry. Good memory. It seems small for a 12.5 and was a perfect 10u glove. As far as bats, find a 12u or 14u TB parent having a yard sale ;) I know around here- every year, new bat- maybe two.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
I always tell parents "buy what you can afford".

I do this for a few reasons. If I told you to invest in a $300 dollar bat you would tell me to pound sand and you would think I'm crazy. But if I tell you " to buy what you can afford" then you be a little more relaxed on your future investment. What usually ends up happening is a girl on the team has a hit bat,bag, or glove that your DD may want. Every one loves their kids. Then I let them know options. Basically I let them come to me.

Dec 20, 2013
Parkersburg, WV
I picked up last years model bats, 2013 from Amazon. She is 10U 5"3' and 115, 31/19 1/2 FS3. $132 but I did buy a good glove for 115 cause it will last and can be used for several years to come 12' Mizuno MVP SE(Navy), it matches the TB uniform colors just right, silly. Plus a Rip it mask. She loves both and did great at their first indoor game of the year.

Oct 24, 2012
Good info in here.
We're leaning Demarini. Looks like the Bustos, Vendetta or CF5 would be your low, mid, top tiers.
Another girl on the team has a Bustos, they like it. Reviews online say they dent easily.
CF5 has not complaints, worried about my small DD not liking anything end loaded.
Havent gotten much negative from the Vendetta - Needs to find somewhere that has it in stock so she can swing.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
My DD is 12 and she uses one of the mizuno finch gloves. They are nice gloves for the price and they break in very quickly. I would highly recommend this line of gloves for your age group. Probably after another year we will upgrade with the glove, but she is very comfortable with it and it has held up well.

I agree with what most are saying, get a good used bat. Although different bats may be listed as the same length and ounces, they do not always feel the same so be careful with that. My DDs first bat at 10u was a -13. My thought was...lighter bat, faster swing...I would do it differently if I could go back. I would go with what James Smith has above...stick to no less than -10 and the length he has is a good size for the average 10u.

Do a google search for Ollie's Bargain Outlet and see if there is one near you. It is a strange store with lots of close out items including softball equipment. I was in there the other day and they had lots of bats, gloves, batting tees, batting gloves, etc. Not top of the line, but would be great for 10u.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Good info in here.
We're leaning Demarini. Looks like the Bustos, Vendetta or CF5 would be your low, mid, top tiers.
Another girl on the team has a Bustos, they like it. Reviews online say they dent easily.
CF5 has not complaints, worried about my small DD not liking anything end loaded.
Havent gotten much negative from the Vendetta - Needs to find somewhere that has it in stock so she can swing.

My 9yo DD has the Vendetta. She likes the way it feels, but the ball doesn't seem to jump off the barrel as much as I would expect. This might have some to do with being new, but possibly even more to do with the softness of the RIF-1 balls used in her league. So far, we've observed what appears to be better results from the Combat Lisa Hernandez (alloy barrel, composite handle), which is a -12 like the Vendetta. My DD says they feel pretty much the same when she swings them.

BucketLover

BucketLover
Jan 24, 2014
Just outside of the foul lines
My DD is 5'3" and weighs 105lbs, swings a 31/20 CF5 and absolutely loves it. She previously had a Vendetta and it was a great bat for the 1st year of 10u, but as they get older the -13 seems to hinder more than help.

As far as gloves go we swear by Akadema's fastpitch gloves, the finger stalls are closer together and are made for a girls hands, they run about $80 - $100 but are a great value, break in easily and are durable. Just my 2 cents.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD is 5'3" and weighs 105lbs, swings a 31/20 CF5 and absolutely loves it. She previously had a Vendetta and it was a great bat for the 1st year of 10u, but as they get older the -13 seems to hinder more than help.

The Vendetta is -12. Not trying to be a nit-picker, just keeping the info accurate for those in the market for a new stick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole