Advise about fixing "leak" and showcase timing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 4, 2014
Good morning. Hoping to get some advise on this.

About a month ago, while chatting with the team's pitching coach about increasing DD's speed, the PC advised that DD could increase her speed by 2-3 miles if she fixes a couple of "leaks" in her form. Our plan is to get these "leaks" fixed in the fall since this may cause DD pitch to be off while she's fixing her form - that's why we've been holding off on the fix. Problem is, DD's team is scheduled to atttend a college showcase late October - which means that DD pitches may be off during the showcase if we start messing with her form in September. Since DD is hoping to invite a couple of D3 coaches out to watch her play, I'm thinking that we should hold off on the fix till after the showcase so that she doesn't embarass herself by throwing wildly or losing speed on her ball with her new form. Another parent thought that she should just go ahead and learn the "new" form after all, the coaches are look to see improvement over time. My fear is, if she craps out, they'll be completely turned off and any possible looks after that would be toast. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I'd imagine she's most likley opening too soon, and not too much....too soon will take away a lot of drive power. What age is she?
IMO, it's always ok to tweak and make small, bite sized adjustments. Practice like you play, right?

Jul 4, 2014
I'd imagine she's most likley opening too soon, and not too much....too soon will take away a lot of drive power. What age is she?
IMO, it's always ok to tweak and make small, bite sized adjustments. Practice like you play, right?

You are right! She's opening up too soon which is why she's losing drive power. She's a rising sophomore (15, going on 16 in the new year) and will be starting to showcase this fall. I think it'll be more tweaking than full deconstruction of her form. But still was concerned as to how she'll show since our PC did say that it was best not to tweak anything during the season. Hence, the tweaking starting the Fall but the showcase in question is 6 weeks after.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
She will still be tweaking her form as she heads off to school. No need to think that it is only done when nobody is looking.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
A true tweak is just a small adjustment.... It is always okay to tweak. The more she repeats an undesirable act, more more that undesired motion will engrain into her muscle memory. I want my players muscle memory to be the correct form, and if it gets wide of what she's being taught, it gets adjusted immediately!
Now I will say, I'm not a fan of a complete overhaul mid season or right before a big game/showcase, but simply getting her to focus a bit more on keeping her body driving forward OFF the rubber and opening up between 3 and 12 is only going to help her.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I am amazed at how many people, even some PC's who think that tweaking mechanics is an off season activity. There is always something to fix and you always need to be working on getting better. If it is so bad that you cannot fix it during the season, you probably should not be pitching. What you describe are the minor tweaks you should be making all the time. Get out and fix it.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Not sure where you are located and which D3s you are looking at- but I have been through this route with Northeast schools in NESCAC - I think if you are truly concerned she is not pitching her best- you still have time; while it is nice to get on their radar early- this coming summer would be fine too. My DD did not really get on her top choice radar until summer between sophomore and junior year- then had 3-4 more offers after academic camp at Pennsbury just this past summer following junior year BECAUSE she had improved so much from last summer. I would not stress too much, but play it by ear and see how she is doing- if she is close to where she wants to be as the showcase approaches - reach out then- but if she needs more time- don't stress, she has it, IMO.

Also- remember if other girls on your DDs team are interested in similar schools, coaches may be lurking and see your DD anyway (one of my DDs offers came this way)

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2009
You are right! She's opening up too soon which is why she's losing drive power. She's a rising sophomore (15, going on 16 in the new year) and will be starting to showcase this fall. I think it'll be more tweaking than full deconstruction of her form. But still was concerned as to how she'll show since our PC did say that it was best not to tweak anything during the season. Hence, the tweaking starting the Fall but the showcase in question is 6 weeks after.

I'd be surprised if any D3 would write off a rising sophomore pitcher at this stage. For reasons I won't go into here, the recruiting process for D3 usually happens much later in a players career than big time D1 schools. I would work on "fixing that leak" now assuming its sound advice. She should just be trying to get better now and not worry about what a coach might think as a rising sophomore.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1