Advice for new rec coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2012
Hello all. I apologize if this has been asked and answered a hundred times, and I promise I’ve perused the site and used the search function but I’m still struggling with how to go about providing instruction to my team.

To give some background, I’m a coach for my daughter’s rec-league (machine pitch)team of 8 year-old girls. I am relatively new to coaching and most of the girls are pretty new to the game. The league had a training video for us new coaches but after browsing around here it sounds like a lot of what was taught was probably bad advice, such as “squish the bug”. I just don’t want to be one of those rec coaches who I hear some of you complain about that give bad advice and then require you to de-program your kids!

I’ve read a lot on how to organize a practice to keep the kids engaged such as using stations, incorporating little games, and just keep it moving along and fun and I definitely plan on following this advice. However, I’m having a hard time trying to figure out how to explain some of the more technical parts of the game, especially the proper swing, to kids this young and inexperienced. I’ve read a lot on swing techniques and watched lots of videos and I think I’m getting a pretty good grasp on it. But I’m having trouble translating those techniques in an easy to understand way. What is the best way to show young kids proper technique without overloading them and frustrating them with too much information?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Hello all. I apologize if this has been asked and answered a hundred times, and I promise I’ve perused the site and used the search function but I’m still struggling with how to go about providing instruction to my team.

To give some background, I’m a coach for my daughter’s rec-league (machine pitch)team of 8 year-old girls. I am relatively new to coaching and most of the girls are pretty new to the game. The league had a training video for us new coaches but after browsing around here it sounds like a lot of what was taught was probably bad advice, such as “squish the bug”. I just don’t want to be one of those rec coaches who I hear some of you complain about that give bad advice and then require you to de-program your kids!

I’ve read a lot on how to organize a practice to keep the kids engaged such as using stations, incorporating little games, and just keep it moving along and fun and I definitely plan on following this advice. However, I’m having a hard time trying to figure out how to explain some of the more technical parts of the game, especially the proper swing, to kids this young and inexperienced. I’ve read a lot on swing techniques and watched lots of videos and I think I’m getting a pretty good grasp on it. But I’m having trouble translating those techniques in an easy to understand way. What is the best way to show young kids proper technique without overloading them and frustrating them with too much information?

IMO, the best thing you can do to teach them to hit is to first teach them to throw properly. Discussions, concepts, and theories don't mix well w/ most 8 year olds so you'll need to make it about feel. The feel you want to them to experience and repeat is the transfer of momentum from the back side to the front side. Get this down w/ throwing and it will serve as a good foundation for them to learn to hit using their core rather than just their arms.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Teach them to throw. Hitting is throwing and visa versa. There are several conversations here about overhand throwing. Then introduce an "Infield throw." Show them that the way you hold the softball is the same way you would hold and swing the bat.

Stress hips, in every aspect of the game. (Hitting and throwing.)

I used to have the little ones, throw at a couple of targets and compete with each other. Hang something funny on the fence like "'Barney, the dinosaur."

Show them the proper grip for a 4 seam fast ball. I get 14 YOs coming to lessons that don't have any idea how to grip the ball.

PM any of us for more advice, too. Click on our user name and most of us will reply. You will look under Notifications at the top of this page, for replies.

Jul 6, 2011
I recommend the book “Coaching Youth Baseball the Ripken Way”. It’s a complete guide to youth coaching that covers the entire spectrum, from roles, responsibilities and expectations, to organizing a practice, to mechanics and drills, and it has chapters broken down by age as well.

Amazon.com: Coaching Youth Baseball the Ripken Way (9780736067829): Cal Ripken Jr., Bill Ripken, Scott Lowe: Books

For machine pitch, there’s no difference between the girls and the boys. Even in the first few years of kid pitch, you can coach them almost identically except for the pitchers. So Ripken’s book should be a good resource for you even though it’s more baseball-specific.

Here are some general comments I’ll throw out there just from my own experience:

One, this level is almost purely instructional. Emphasis is on fundamentals, not winning. Teach them the game and good things will happen. Be positive and encouraging at all times, even when you lose. As a rule of thumb, praise is public, criticism is private. You may have to get onto them occasionally, but this should be done sparingly. Do it too much and they’ll resent you for it. A team that’s well coached and motivated and having fun will naturally want to do their best and please the coach. If your team isn’t like this, the first place to look is in the mirror.

Two, keep it fun! To be successful at anything, you have to have passion for it. This is your chance to fuel these kids’ passion for the game. There are lots of little, inexpensive things you can do to keep it fun – eye black on game day, bubble gum or suckers after the game, etc.

Three, don’t be too hard on yourself. You will make mistakes, and your practices may seem disorganized and dull at first. You’ll get better at this as you gain experience. Use your assistants! Try to do everything yourself, and you’ll fail.

Four, respect your assistants and treat them right. Listen to them, and take their advice if it’s good. Give them responsibilities and make sure they feel like they’re being utilized. But don’t take any guff from them. You’re the head coach and your word is final. If you feel an assistant is usurping your authority, you need to nip it in the bud right away, and don’t ever let them disrespect you in front of the players. The players need to know who the head coach is.

Five, be fair. Try to see each player through their parents’ eyes. When you have so many to work with, it’s easy to overlook someone. Each player is important, so try to meet each player at their level and bring them up to the next. Emphasize improvement, not talent.

Six, respect the parents but be firm. Once the player steps on the field, they’re your player. Don’t be afraid to set ground rules for the parents as well. Letters can be effective here. But always be respectful. They are trusting you with their kids.

Seven, be fair to your own kid as well. Don’t treat her any different than any other player while she’s on the field, for better or worse. Earlier this year I was an assistant coach on my son’s football team. At the end of the football season, we were turning in our equipment. I had my arm around my son and was talking to him about the game (it was a tough one). One of the other players walked up and said, “Is he your son? I didn’t know that!” I was shocked at first then realized, I had treated him no differently, no better or worse, than any other player throughout the season. At least not on the field, in front of the other kids.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Yell at them often an loudly. Demand perfection.

Oh wait that's the exact opposite of what you should do.

Follow Jesse's post above and you'll definetly be on the right track.

May 8, 2012
Although I haven't replied to this thread yet, I have taken some of the advice posted and it has been a big help. Much appreciated. I also picked up the Ripken book and it has been a great resource. It doesn't hurt that Cal was one of my favorites!

One thing I'm not sure of is how to rotate the girls on defense so they all get experience playing each position. We've had two games so far and I've been moving them around each inning but I don't think this gives them enough time and continuity at each position to really learn. Is it better to give them two innings at each position? Three? More?

For reference, our games have been lasting 6 innings and the most action by far has been at the pitcher spot and 1st and 2nd base. Very few balls (less than 5 a game) reach the outfield and the girls get very bored out there so I would hate to stick a kid out there for too long. And obviously I have to limit 1st base to only the girls who can catch the ball well for safety reasons.

Anyone have experience with this or have any ideas on what would be the best approach to get everyone involved but also provide the best learning opportunity? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I like playing Players at least a couple innings in a row at the same position, I also like keeping them on the same side of the field for an entire game.

So Player A would play 2nd for 2 innings then play RF for 2 innings, something like that.

And you are right 1st needs to catch the ball, nothing more frustrating for the entire team then a 1st that drops the ball a lot.

May 18, 2009
Our team used squishy balls to get the new girls to catch. It works good in 8u. Hands only the first few practices.

Mar 31, 2012
I recommend the book “Coaching Youth Baseball the Ripken Way”. It’s a complete guide to youth coaching that covers the entire spectrum, from roles, responsibilities and expectations, to organizing a practice, to mechanics and drills, and it has chapters broken down by age as well.

yah i have that book. very good. at 8 batting is largely a matter of grip it and rip it. give em a million hacks at a skillz stick and the swing will come. I think the worst thing they do at this age is set up a stance out of whack.

May 17, 2011
A lot of good advice here, but please, please remember this:

Boys have to play well to feel good about themselves while girls have to feel good about themselves before they'll play well. Oh, and also remember they really don't care how much you know, only how much you care about them:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles