Adjusting to Faster Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
So, we have a first year 10u team. We are constantly working on mechanics, and a lot of our girls have pretty swings. However, some of the tournaments we've played in the last few weeks have had some pretty formidable pitching. We've faced two girls (one this past weekend was actually clocked with a gun, so there's no debating) throwing right around 55 mph, and several girls hovering around 50 mph. Our fastest pitcher throws around 42 mph. We've done the calculations, and it was figured that from 15 ft doing front toss, I needed to be pitching around 33 mph to mimick the speed of a 55 mph fastball from 35 ft. We tried this, and it really hasn't worked. We've worked on the girls starting their sequence earlier in these girls wind-up, abbreviated swings, and implementing a snap-stop type of swing on 2 strikes (not sure why, but our girls have really cut down on their strikeouts since we did this).

Was watching the Georgia/Alabama game this weekend, and I believe it was Jessica Mendoza that said Georgia's coach would set up the pitching machine and crank it up to like 75-80 mph in practice, so whenever they faced Jackie Traina, it would seem "slow." Does anyone have any thoughts on this? We're going to be traveling to OKC on May 31st, and I'm sure we're going to end up seeing some stud pitching when we get there. We're a young team, so it's not like we have aspirations of going up there and dominating, but I would hate for us to go up there, and the whole team go 0fer the tourney because we can't catch up.

I've seen in the past, or should I say heard in the past, of different sports working on similar things in order to "slow the game down." For instance, I know that Donovan McNabb in 2002 wore special glasses (StrobeSpecs) all through the offseason and training camp that would flash on and off as to block his vision temporarily (almost like a strobe light, hence the name). Apparently, this did have a "slowdown" effect for him, and if I'm not mistaken, he had some pretty good numbers those next few years. They're rather expensive, so I'm not running out and buying any for my 9 year old, but we're in need of some help, and if there's any place to get some pointers, this would be it. Thanks.

Josh

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
1st thing, take the radar gun back, it's broke. Or ask to see their birth certificates.

The thing young girls need to do to hit fast pitchers is stop waiting to hit a good pitch. They need to change their mental process to "I am going to swing at every pitch". Then put on the emergency breaks on pitches they can't reach. I have made they observation over and over, that my worst mechanics, most clueless players adjust easiest to fast pitchers. Not completely sure why, maybe they are too clueless to be intimidated. Might be they are aimlessly swinging the bad without thought and getting lucky.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
Also try the.ping pong sized wiffle balls. They make the girls concentrate more and when try get to the 10" ball, it looks big and slow. Worked wonders for my dd.

May 1, 2011
RED - As far as the radar gun bit goes, these girls are HUGE. I can't tell you how many times in the past 3 weeks I've said something to the effect of "were 10-11 year old girls this big when I was that age?" One of the girls had to be 5'7" at least. Let's just say when I shook her hand and said good game, I wasn't looking down. Maybe the girls are just bigger here in Texas. Everything else is. Or haven't ya heard? HAHA!!!

I do get the go-Go-GO/go-Go-NO idea as far as the slamming on the emergency brake. I've often spoke and worked with the girls on being prepared to swing at every pitch. We're still talking about 9-10 year olds though, so it doesn't always sink in right away. I also can't help but think that there's still a fear factor involved as well, but that's what I'm getting at. Trying to figure out a way to get these girls out of their own head about faster pitching, and just get aggressive and take their hacks.

May 1, 2011
Bucket - seen mixed reviews about the small balls. We've used them before, and to be quite honest, I loved them. Not sure about how they would help with the speed aspect of it all though.

May 16, 2010
So, we have a first year 10u team. We are constantly working on mechanics, and a lot of our girls have pretty swings. However, some of the tournaments we've played in the last few weeks have had some pretty formidable pitching. We've faced two girls (one this past weekend was actually clocked with a gun, so there's no debating) throwing right around 55 mph, and several girls hovering around 50 mph. Our fastest pitcher throws around 42 mph. We've done the calculations, and it was figured that from 15 ft doing front toss, I needed to be pitching around 33 mph to mimick the speed of a 55 mph fastball from 35 ft. We tried this, and it really hasn't worked. We've worked on the girls starting their sequence earlier in these girls wind-up, abbreviated swings, and implementing a snap-stop type of swing on 2 strikes (not sure why, but our girls have really cut down on their strikeouts since we did this).

Was watching the Georgia/Alabama game this weekend, and I believe it was Jessica Mendoza that said Georgia's coach would set up the pitching machine and crank it up to like 75-80 mph in practice, so whenever they faced Jackie Traina, it would seem "slow." Does anyone have any thoughts on this? We're going to be traveling to OKC on May 31st, and I'm sure we're going to end up seeing some stud pitching when we get there. We're a young team, so it's not like we have aspirations of going up there and dominating, but I would hate for us to go up there, and the whole team go 0fer the tourney because we can't catch up.

I've seen in the past, or should I say heard in the past, of different sports working on similar things in order to "slow the game down." For instance, I know that Donovan McNabb in 2002 wore special glasses (StrobeSpecs) all through the offseason and training camp that would flash on and off as to block his vision temporarily (almost like a strobe light, hence the name). Apparently, this did have a "slowdown" effect for him, and if I'm not mistaken, he had some pretty good numbers those next few years. They're rather expensive, so I'm not running out and buying any for my 9 year old, but we're in need of some help, and if there's any place to get some pointers, this would be it. Thanks.

Josh

There is no absolute answer, but here are some of my thoughts;

1. Hitting VERY fast pitching is NOT easy. However, it gets a bit easier simply by seeing it more often. Your brain will begin to adapt, the more often it sees it. If you have a pitching machine that will pitch 60 then turn it on and have them see 100 of them go by. They don't even have to try to hit the first 10 or 15, just get used to tracking it.

2. Most young hitters who are used to slow speed, cannot catchup to the fast stuff partly because of #1 above (haven't seen it), but also because they don't understand that they have to swing in two parts. They MUST get loaded and get the bottom half moving WHILE they read the pitch. The hands go back earlier than they are used to, and while they stride.
If they see a fast pitch and decide to swing, and at decision time, stride, load the hands and then swing; the ball is in the glove.

They need to practice loading during the middle of the windup, stride just after release and hold the hands back and only commit the hands when it is what they want to swing at.

My granddaughter is 12 and we ran into the same thing with her team. She is the only one who could catch up to the fastest pitcher in the league (throwing about 52.) The other girls on her team were all late because they waited to do their whole swing after they saw the pitch as a strike. I have taught DGD to keep the hands back, load on windup and stride after release. However, she and all the others could do even better if they saw that speed more often.

You have to practice what you're going to have to do. It doesn't do any good to take a 1,000 swings at 40, if you're going to face 55 in a game. You simply have to practice at 55. Practice at 40 is for honing mechanics, practice at 55 is to train your brain to time the pitch.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
RED - As far as the radar gun bit goes, these girls are HUGE. I can't tell you how many times in the past 3 weeks I've said something to the effect of "were 10-11 year old girls this big when I was that age?" One of the girls had to be 5'7" at least. Let's just say when I shook her hand and said good game, I wasn't looking down. Maybe the girls are just bigger here in Texas. Everything else is. Or haven't ya heard? HAHA!!!

I do get the go-Go-GO/go-Go-NO idea as far as the slamming on the emergency brake. I've often spoke and worked with the girls on being prepared to swing at every pitch. We're still talking about 9-10 year olds though, so it doesn't always sink in right away. I also can't help but think that there's still a fear factor involved as well, but that's what I'm getting at. Trying to figure out a way to get these girls out of their own head about faster pitching, and just get aggressive and take their hacks.

Funny after righting that, I remembered my dd first travel game, she was 9. First pitcher she faced had to be 5'10, looked like she was 18. Dd hit a little grounder 4-3 out. I see as she is running to the dugout she is crying. I am thinking, no way is she going to be crying just cause she got thrown out. I said "why are you crying". She said "cause I am so happy I hit the ball, I was scared to death."

Sep 17, 2009
Try Barry bonds drill after each successful contact girl moves closer. For safety sake maybe crank up machine and start at 40 feet Im a little uncomfortable asking ten year olds to hit a 60 mph machine from 30 feet or closer. But the drill, along with your instruction, will get them more comfortable and having successes.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Funny after righting that, I remembered my dd first travel game, she was 9. First pitcher she faced had to be 5'10, looked like she was 18. Dd hit a little grounder 4-3 out. I see as she is running to the dugout she is crying. I am thinking, no way is she going to be crying just cause she got thrown out. I said "why are you crying". She said "cause I am so happy I hit the ball, I was scared to death."

I show the girls a lot of video showing how early college players start their swing. As you said though even at 12-13 it only sinks in with a few of them.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
We have done two drills for 6 weeks and are seeing improvement.
RED Light GREEN Light
I call Red light...They enter the box and loosely wait for the pitcher to start the motion
I call GREEN light....they load up and proceed to attempt to hit
We explain the purpose of the drill is to get them thinking to relax and only go into a serious focus on the girls release point at her hip rather than the entire body when it is time to go GREEN LIGHT. We also explain that standing so "locked" up for a long time waiting on the pitcher can actually be bad for them. We want them to be relaxed (RED LIGHT) until the pitcher starts the motion and then they go from loose and relaxed to Loaded and focused on the release point. This has helped them find and track the ball and remove the distractions of the pitchers entire body motion and stop loading back when the ball is crossing the plate.

We also run a drill where I sit on a bucket about 20 ft away behind the screen and sling balls in hard at them. They then have to tell me where my hand was at the point of release of the ball. Was it on the side?...Was it over the front of the ball?...Was it behind the ball? The purpose is to work vision of the only thing that matters. The pitchers wrist and release point. At this young of an age watching the entire body means they think a kid who moves fast is pitching fast. Which is in fact not so true.
We have seen kids mostly in the 37-45 speed range. But we do encounter kids pretty regularly that clock easy 50 or more. Speed is tough at this age. But when they move the rubber back in 12U this will all change and junk pitches will matter because fast in will = faster out. Those girls who struggled to nail one on the fast pitcher at 10U have been salivating for the day they can get payback. I have seen it and it is awesome! Good luck and there day will come if you keep working at it. I share this as I got this advice here on this site. A great place to learn and share.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut