About what percentage is mental?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

What percentage of successful pitching is mental?

• Total voters
Apr 28, 2014
Having a discussion with another pitchers parent today and the mental side of pitching came up. We see some kids who soar in camps and practice but come game time they fold. I know it's not an exact number but in your opinion what percentage is physical and what percentage is mental?

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
I don't know how to put a number on it (I voted 50-50), but I will say that if you don't have the mental side solid the physical side doesn't really matter all that much. Every pitcher will face some adversity in every game and if she can't deal with it that will become a problem.

Sep 29, 2014
I do think this changes over time:

If you are 10U and you have attended 3 or 4 lessons....it's 90% physical.
If you have been pitching for 4 years but never learned correct mechanics....it's 90% physical
If you have all the proper mechanics and can when practicing do most thing right...it's 90% mental

Deal is without having the proper mechanics you can have all the mental fortitude you want but you can't pitch faster, you can work pitches correctly and won't reach your full potential...so yeah at that point it is 100% mental to see if you can tap into the 75% of your potential that you have available to you.

But if I had to vote 100%/100%

May 27, 2013
Mostly mental. I see girls who amaze me at camps and lessons who I would assume would be mowing down the competition. However, like others have said, give them a live batter and a couple of college coaches watching and they completely fall apart. I’ve seen too many tears on the rubber.

On the other hand, I’ve seen girls I’d never expect completely dominate teams. Having a strong mental game and being able to quickly forget a bad pitch or inning will get a pitcher far in this sport.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06