A young 12U player walks up to you...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

moe

Aug 14, 2013
...and says "coach, I want to learn how to pitch"

now what...

Where do YOU start...

(my daughter did this...yes, I got her a PC, but doesnt start for a bit yet)

Video links...drills, gifs, etc. would be very useful!

Aug 3, 2013
Start with boardmembers ir in the ckassroom sticky. learn how to THROW underhand properly then begin pitching instruction.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I start with making certain that she knows the 4 seam grip and that it is the same for over hand throw. Then, I explain the power line and we start backwards changing. 1. Flipping the ball to me, while releasing at the back hip. 2. taking ball straight back behind her, with glove pointed towards me. Both elbows are relaxed. (She forms a w, sort of.) Then, down to release. 3. Ball straight over head, elbow relaxed. Arm brushing ear. Thumb turns away from your body and then, pull the ball down to release. 4. Still no feet. Ball is out in front of her, in her glove. Glove side elbow is against her waist. Full circle to release.

As this progresses, show her how her weight should shift, forward back and forward, at release.

Do you know how to introduce the pitchers plate and how she should stride off of it?

moe

Aug 14, 2013
@amy...no, just what I have seen on Youtube. SHe understands the powerline...for a target...not the bleeding of energy part (left or right of power line). SHe has started the flipping like Bill H's Fastpitch.tv vids show and IR in the classroom thread. Then works pitching to her own glove. SHe just started ball over head.

Please continue!

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Hey Moe,

I find that too many beginners (and their parents) get impatient far too early, and start throwing full-motion pitches, far too soon.

The back 1/4 of the circle (9 o'clock) is the most important. It's also the least exciting to a beginner at times because it doesn't appear as cool as a full circle.

The one advantage you have is that she is 12. At that age, she is gonna understand (cognitively speaking) much more that she is told than someone at 9. Look there are different strokes for different folks - and I know that what I say will anger a few people on here to the point where they feel the need to post a rebuttal... but don't hide information from her. Show her what the elite do. Show her BM's drills, and even show her some of the old slingshot pitchers. I think the latter is important, because they will see what some of those older 1/2 circle pitchers were capable of... and perhaps not be too pushy to start throwing full circle right off the bat.

One other thing... if you use the Lock It In and Palm to the Sky drills, spend the time watching what the entire body does and should do in those drills. Too many beginning pitchers develop a lead foot (drive foot). Allow the back foot to turn shoelaces inward. Make sure the leg doesn't get left behind. Make sure the Stride foot is at 45-degrees. Watch the back quarter of the circle in elite pitchers - and pay special attention to their weight distribution and feet position when they pitch. Putting your DD in a position similar to - will go a LONG way in keeping her from spending unnecessary time trying to learn leg drive and correcting posture issues later on. Pitching is not just the arm... it's the entire body being in time and running in proper sequence.

IMO, there is no need to progress beyond BM's Liberty position, until she has comfort, consistency, and confidence. Meaning: don't waste the time throwing full circles in the beginning. It will do nothing but slow her down as well as break down all of the proper i/r mechanics. Again, don't move past Liberty until she can comfortably and consistently throw you the ball.

Be careful of static drills... make sure they reinforce the posture and what actually happens during a pitch. Too much time spent in the K-position with improper weight distribution is more harmful than helpful, IMO.

Best of luck. Feel free to send me a shout if you ever need a hand.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
OK. How big is she? Sometimes with a young 12, it is good to start with the 11 inch ball.

So, you have her on the power line and she is tossing the ball 30-35 feet. Start saying "one step back." Until you get her to about 40 feet. Her back foot is going to start to want to do something. I call them being stuck, at this point. Then, I show them the pitching plate and that you approach it from the back and hands have to be separated. My right heel is on the front of the plate plate and my left toe is on the back of the plate.

I do not teach a back swing. Hands come together - and this is where I show them that as the hands come up and separate, the left knee also comes up as you start to bring your hands up (like a marionette). Show her how she strides forward and turns the hips to get both (feet) toes on the power line. And she forms a big X. This is commonly called a K. Arm circle stays close to her body (ear to hip). I call the release "flip at the hip." Then, back foot simply drags up to the front heal. Drag the big toe. Her timing can get messed up, here, and it is easiest to stand beside her and slowly go through the motion.

Look for the arm drifting away from the ear at the top of the circle. "Brush your ear." Look for her to lean forward at delivery or bend forward. Encourage her to "just stand," at first. Also look for a bent front leg. That needs to be straight, but not locked. She needs a firm front side.

Buy yourself some shin guards and sit down low for her, not on a big bucket. I would also have her wear a mask. Good luck and keep asking questions.

Nov 3, 2013
Stoddard, WI
My DD did that to me two years ago. I never realized the commitment it would take from me. I am loving it and we are progressing well. The more I learn the more I know how little I know.