A week Gold level Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 12, 2009
Hello all...We live in Canada and where we are from. Most of our team's do not fair very well.

At a gold level...what does the average week look like for teams who tend ta dominate?
I once seen a interview with Chuck “the ice man” Liddell and he said he never gets nerves before a fight because he has toughly trained and prepared. I personally do not think our programs are training at the level we compete at.

Looking for things like days a week spent practicing, workouts, etc. Also…how many months of the year are these kids devoting to the sport?

Thanks

I haven't been involved in Gold level ball, but I'm guessing pretty much 12 months a year by that level, and probably at least 4 days a week (counting team practices and individual workouts), probably more like 5-7 for pitchers.

Just an uneducated guess....I'm fairly sure it's more than the average person realizes.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If you have a kid playing gold level softball, then she will be working out 45 weeks out of the year, probably 3 to 4 days per week. There are tournaments every weekend in the summer, and at least two tournaments in the fall.

Team practice occurs whenever it is nice enough outside. So, if you are on a gold team in Chicagoland, team practice starts after the school season ends and ends sometime in October. If you are on a gold team in San Diego, it never ends.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
If you are referring to ASA 18U Gold, there are only 64 actual GOLD teams in a given year. There are of course many teams calling themselves Gold that arent, most arent even close. I would say if an organization doesnt routinely qualify for the ASA Gold National Championship tournament, like maybe once/3yrs or so, they arent really a gold program.

These girls all practice year round, just likely not together. Many are college freshmen that play on college teams, and are away at school, so they dont practice with their gold team until after schools out. The 17/18 yr old HS seniors on the teams will practice either together (if enough of them), with their old 16U teams , or with their HS team during the season. Some teams only get in one or two practices and then start playing tournaments in the summer.

Jun 6, 2009
When I used to coach at gold, college players weren't as predominate as they are today. At the time most teams may have had 1 college player if that. Mainely comprised of 17-18 yo. As far as practices, it was exactly as mudbug describes. HS SB tended to limit team practices. Always took a few weeks to get the HS funk off of them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06