A question about asking a coach to see you play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 5, 2013
I plan on attending a few exposure camps this fall/summer and I was wondering if it is appropriate to ask a coach to come see me at the exposure camp and to watch my skills. It is a coach I have met at the school (since visiting the schools has become my top choice DIII). Would this be okay and how would I ask?

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
Hi coach blank. We have spoken before and Im would love for you or your assistant coaches to come watch me at one of the following few exposure camps this fall/summer. I have attached the following camps/leagues that I will be playing in. I hope to see you there as I look forward to hopefully playing for you in 200-- season!
Sincerely
Blank blank

May 5, 2013
Thank you ! I was also just thinking, should I ask them before I sign up if they'd be willing to attend a showcase camp to see me play?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am new to recruiting, but the one thing I have learned so far is that you need to be your own self-advocate when it comes to recruiting. I would recommend calling and inviting the coach to come watch you play - you can call a coach, but a coach is NOT allowed to call you, so do not be offended if you leave a voicemail and do not get a return phone call. Follow up your phone call with an email and/or a letter.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Jad is spot on here... there is usually a head coachs phone number and email address listed online in the schools athletic dept directory. Send an email once every 3-4 weeks with a copy of your schedule. Let them know that their school and their coaching staff is your #1 pick. (Even if its not true, nobody wants to be a backup) address the coach by name (no generic letters, make them individualized) be short and sweet and persistent. The more times the coach sees your name the more likely they will go with you for a position if you and another have similar qualities! Good luck, James

Aug 14, 2011
Call, send emails, tell them in person. You have to market yourself. I would send the schedule at the beginning of the season, then send a followup/game times the week of the tournament, and then follow up the following Monday, thanking them for their time (even if they didn't go- "I'm not sure if you were able to attend the tournament this weekend, but if you did, thank you for taking the time, etc). You won't always "see" a coach who is there. Call them too. Drip drip drip . . . they will eventually notice you. They get too many calls, emails and requests for you to do just one and hope they see it. They probably won't. Don't stalk, but be consistent and frequent in your contacts.

Jun 12, 2012
Good advice in the posts above. From experience with my DD I would add:
1. Send coaches your skills video and ask for feedback. We were surprised how many coaches offered specific feedback and suggestions based on her video.
2. Be persistent. She often didn't get a response to the first email. Follow-up.
3. Show the coaches you are interested in their program. Email them well wishes before a big game or offer congratulations after a big win.
4. Don't forget academics. DD always started her contact by telling the coach about her academic strengths and goals and then softball aspirations. If you can't get in on grades you won't be successful on the field.

Good luck!

Dec 20, 2012
This if for introducing yourself to coaches. This much info may or may not be needed if you already have a relationship with the coach. Put together a resume with atheletic, academic, and community service accolades. Make a quick little video, if she is an infielder show her skills fielding, transition, dp's , and arm strength. Just 3 or 4 of each is enough. Same for outfield. If pitcher 2 or 3 of each pitch from front, back, and side view. And 5-10 cuts and coulpe of bunts. If slapper, show hard slap, soft slap, one hand, swing away...I think you get the picture.

But put those together attached to an introduction letter that tells the coaches a little about yourself and your plans for college and after. Send it to any or all the schools that you may be interested. In subject put for ex: CLASS OF 2015 PITCHER JANE DO SKILLS VIDEO!!! Send to head coach and carbo copy assistant coaches. You never know who may be the one that is scanning emails. Plus your name is being seen by multiple. They are getting hundreds if not thousands of email every year. They can only check so many a day. You want to stand out!!!! Put in a little more work and personalize by using coaches name in the opening and mentioning the schools name or mascot. If you have a recruiting coord for your team, have them send an introduction letter of their own. Still attaching the video and resume. Phine #'s in school directories are often a general # for that sport and not answered except by machine. New NCAA rules allow unlimited email and texts to recruits so communication is easier now. If you want call ask for their number, you will get it if they are interested. Once you have a good number call once every week or 2. If no answer, leave message letting them know when you will call back. Or let them know it is OK to caontact your TB coach. They are great go betweens when trying to contact one another. I'm sure i've missed some stuff but I hope that helps!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez