A new kid on the block.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Had a new coach ask me tonight, *"what are you trying to do with a team" ? *A young guy, decent BB background played D2 up state, *just moved into the area and has a 9yo DD. *Just started as a player last year and he is trying to put a local TB team together. Boy!! It brought back memories.*

So good to hear such an enthusiastic young guy with a dream.*

I sat there a minute and told him, I'm trying to teach them the game from every side. AND, I want them to take that knowledge and hard work and WIN SOMETHING.*

I went on to say it doesn't matter what you win. If you play church or rec league, you try to become the best in your league. If you play TB in A/B class, you try to become the best you can. If that's winning a local tournament great. If that's winning a state championship that's great. If that's traveling to Florida for a A,B,C world series that's great. If you go to Nat's or Premier ( past my time) that's great. YOU GOTTA SET A GOAL OF SOMETHING. *Or you're playing for nothing. *"Goals" drive us in every aspect of life, we should teach that to our young.*

Sure it's about fun and development, but this is a sport.........it's competitive by nature. That's why they ( the players ) dedicate time. They want to see something for all that sacrifice, all the sweat, all the early mornings and late nights.*

I told him this game is no different than the BB side we are all to familiar with. Big budgets and national organized teams win titles. They can recruit the best of the best and have the cheese to fly in ringers at will. BUT, they take the talent that has already been taught. Taking a 6-9yo and developing her from scratch is much harder that recruiting a 14-18yo and fine tuning her skills. Just like a house, if the foundation is weak...........all the weight of additions will make it not worth a dime.*

Taking what you can get, and making "that" better each game.....each season.....each year is what makes a good coach and a good team. It's not starting over from scratch each year because something/someone better comes along. Sure some quit, some players give up. But IF YOU KEEP them hungry, if you keep moving forward, keep them evolving as players...........that's the key. There is a balance between them being secure as a team player and being challenged, and it's a hard fine line.*

The next fine line is the girls. Is all about them, not you. BUT, you have a job to do to "give" them the opportunity to succeed . You ultimately are responsible though to get them there. You make the hard decisions, you congratulate them on progression and push them to aspire.*

*I spit all this out like I'd had a gallon of coffee. Then we went silent.........................I told him we do this to continue the game we love for our kids, it's what/how we were raised and all the life lessons that can be taught on the field. If your doing it for ANY OTHER REASON, you're doing it for the WRONG REASON.*

Thanks for reading my trip down memory lane.*

Edit: Not sure why all the stars, did it on my iPad notes.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Good topic, especially the part about the role of winning in what you're trying to accomplish.

I see it this way ...

Winning is something that the ego needs. The goal of winning is something that everybody needs in some avenue of their lives to live life to the fullest, IMO.

So I agree that the goal of winning is an integral part of any travel ball team. The more they want to win – the more they are willing to put their hearts on the line and care deeply about the outcome – the better they can learn those ‘life’s lessons’ that we talk about: work ethic, teamwork, sacrifice, faith, perseverance, etc.

I also think it's important that everybody - from coaches to parents to players - understand why it's important to win. They should understand it's not about ego, or feeling superior. It's about the goal and the effort.

It can be a hard thing for adults to understand, so kids might have an even harder time getting the meaning of winning and losing.

Just looked up this Lombardi quote to help me explain this --

“I firmly believe that any man’s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – Victorious”

Change 'Victorious' to 'Defeated' and I think you've still got a special moment in life.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Good advice...
I constantly remind the girls that their commitment to themselves and the team has to be equal to mine as their coach.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55