A Lot to Learn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 25, 2022
Thanks for letting me join.

Last year, I started assisting my son coaching 10U and 12U granddaughters. He asked me to help because I’ve had beaucoup experience in playing/coaching baseball.

But (and that’s a really big “but”) this is a very different game, and I’ve been constantly searching the Internet to learn how to coach it.

This forum is just what I need. Wish I found it much earlier.

May 27, 2022
Thanks for letting me join.

Last year, I started assisting my son coaching 10U and 12U granddaughters. He asked me to help because I’ve had beaucoup experience in playing/coaching baseball.

But (and that’s a really big “but”) this is a very different game, and I’ve been constantly searching the Internet to learn how to coach it.

This forum is just what I need. Wish I found it much earlier.

Welcome to DSP and softball! If you start with the idea that it is more similar to baseball than not (especially hitting and throwing), you are going to be fine. Good luck with it!

If I listed the quick, high level, differences:
- Can't leave the base until the ball leaves the pitchers hand (if you start behind the base and start to move when the arm is a 3:00 position you'll be just leaving the base when the ball is released)
- Look back rule
- Can't retreat from first base after you put the ball in play
- Designated Player is different than DH
- Every player gets one re-entry

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
To add to what Agcy said, here are some other differences:

- Defensive responsibilities and coverages are sometimes different (2B covers first, not the pitcher).
- Slapping is a thing, though it does seem to be something of a dying skill
- The double first base
- Obstruction is significantly different in softball
- Umpire positioning is different
- Everything about pitching, pretty much
- The cheering and chanting takes time getting used to, but you will get used to it and you will eventually realize that most of the girls need that kind of energy to perform well.

Those are off the top of my head.

One thing that is not different: The swing. A good swing is a good swing. You'll find people on this board arguing about proper swing mechanics a lot, but one thing they all seem to agree on is there's no reason why a softball swing should be different than a baseball swing.

Jun 8, 2016
The most important things(at all levels, but especially at the younger ages), and the things that are the hardest to gain expertise in (hitting,throwing,fielding), are the same for the most part.

The other stuff you will catch on to if you pay attention. Good luck.

Jan 25, 2022
Most people hate LBR. I love it purely because a sympathetic team who is beating the piss out of you (or vice versa) will break that rule by having their runner step off the bag and get called out, thereby getting your defense off the field.

If you get into instructing pitching at all, good youtube resources are people like Amanda Scarborough, MegRem softball, and fastpitch power. Just try not to overcomplicate that. Correct posture will be a big deal to avoid building bad habits.

Have fun.

Signed...a guy whose team got run-ruled a lot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414