A hashed out subject

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Based on my interpretation of "one-legged", Bonds is a great example. Based on your interpretation of "one-legged", he is not. You and I simply have different beliefs of what "one-legged" really means. I have no issue with that.

Is the golfer a good example of being one legged? lol 😛

It seems to me he is a good example and not just because he only has one leg.😎

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Would pirates be good hitters?
One eye, no left brain right brain issues
Could either use one leg for driving off...
Or other batters box turn and spin on back leg.

Screenshot_2020-08-15-15-55-34-1.png

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Is the golfer a good example of being one legged? lol 😛

It seems to me he is a good example and not just because he only has one leg.😎

It's a conversation that I have grown tired of having, for all the reasons explained in RD's post. The focus on the one legged golfer tends to be more about what he is missing instead of what he is actually doing.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
" You can only stay on one leg for so long before losing your balance forward, assuming you’re getting some forward movement (which you should be). "

" . . . . balance forward, . . . "?
Well this is interesting, because I do not often see a batter fall forward on their face. Very frequently even a linear focused hitter will use the backside knee-drive to turn the hips completely to 90°, rather than a false hip rotation that finished with about a 65-70° hip rotation, and the backside kicks hard toward the frontside which is used as a "wall" against continued forward movement. The will lose balance, and the step that recaptures balance is usually backward or the back heel comes down. They aren't ballerinas. So the assumption is strange which I often see in opinions.
Mookie Betts is a pretty linear hitter, watch him brace his weight from going backward. You can see the back-knee drive, the full hip rotation to 90°, deep entry of the bat-head onto the plane of the pitch, long extension, weight shifts back.

How is he a linear hitter that rotates to 90 degrees

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
How is he a linear hitter that rotates to 90 degrees

Because no one says he's pure linear hitting. Nor I do not think anyone teaches a pure linear movement. "Squishing the bug" does not allow full hip rotation. If the back foot remains in place, no full hip rotation can take place. It is a slow swivel of the hips without much dynamic kinetic energy added to contact. Mookie's hips fully rotate, as in a full 90°. The emphasis of "linear hitting" is the use of the hips potential. It is the concept similar to turning the barrel without the upper-cut, and not using a twisting of the upper body, but using a whip motion sequence to maintain the shoulder position's opening as long as required to hit the pitch where it is pitched. The shoulder tilt takes the barrel early, or SHORT, to the plane of the pitch. Watch Mookie's shoulders. The back shoulder moves off the axis toward the pitcher or pitch much more than the front shoulder, not flying open and shortening the length of the bat coverage of the strike-zone, thus creating as LONG a swing or extension as possible. "Short to the ball, long through the ball."

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If the one legged golfer had two legs would he still swing the same way? No. So it’s Efficient for a one legged person, there are no one legged players in the MLB
A one-legged golfer and a two-legged golfer go into a bar together.
The one-legged golfer orders a beer.
The two-legged golfer orders two beers.

The one-legged golfer turns to the two-legged golfer and asks
"what's with two beers?"
The two-legged golfer responds,
"I'm frustrated so i'm drowning my sorrows! My swing is terrible!
I have these two legs and I can't figure out which one to use..."

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2017
Based on my interpretation of "one-legged", Bonds is a great example. Based on your interpretation of "one-legged", he is not. You and I simply have different beliefs of what "one-legged" really means. I have no issue with that.
Didn’t realize that every time you post you are only speaking of phrases and methods that you experience with your students. If that’s the case then my apologies, but I could of sworn I’ve seen posts where you discuss theory and technical aspects which aren’t all about your DD or students. I thought that you referring to Bonds as being 1 legged was one of those times
I’d love to hear both of your interpretations on what one legged means to you. I keep seeing the phrase more and more recently and the person who mainly uses it just leaves vague comments and if there’s any disagreement you’re immediately an idiot.

my interpretation of a one legged swing in the context I’ve mainly seen it used in is that less weight is shifted forward and the axis the swing is turning around is not the spine but rather the back hip.

1597565946375.pngin this picture of bonds at launch he looks pretty close to 60-40 maybe even approaching 50-50. Is this his B swing? Is this a bad home run? Am I interpreting it wrong?

I just wish these conversations could take place without egos getting involved because the conversation always gets sidetracked and turns into your wrong I’m right instead maybe we could learn something from each other. I’m by no means a hitting guru just trying to learn everyday so I can do the best for my players.

Attachments

• 8DDADB8C-1F35-4087-88EB-B25587F3526D.png
    8DDADB8C-1F35-4087-88EB-B25587F3526D.png
    888 KB · Views: 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi