-9 vs end loaded

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 30, 2011
I posted this on another forum and didn't get much response so I figured I would ask the question here as well.

Ok my DD is a freakishly strong 5'5 130lb 13 yr old (14 next month) that has been swinging a 33" -10 cf5 for the last year. We are looking for a new bat and cant decide if we should drop down to a -9 or stay with a -10 and just go to the end loaded insane or the likes. Ive done some reading about end loaded bats and they claim that they are designed for the "power hitter" which I would classify my DD. She bats in the #4 spot and had 10hr, 18 triples, 37 doubles with close to 100 RBI in 2013 (should be more but our #3 is a power hitter to lol). She had a 32" rocketech that weighed almost 26oz and had no problem getting it around, it was just to short for her after using the 33" for a while. So I guess the question is, is location of weight better than amount weight? or vise versa??

As a side note, I found a -9 for a great price and picked it up but I'm still unsure if its the right way to go.

Jun 24, 2013
I am still fighting to get DD length so we went to a balanced bat this year from end-loaded so she could move up a little bit in length.

It all comes down to what your DD likes but I say start drooping in weight, a -9 sounds good to me.

Rip-It send me an Email about end loaded vs. balanced but I can not find it. It basically said you are on your own, let your DD pick what she likes. :)

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I posted this on another forum and didn't get much response so I figured I would ask the question here as well.

Ok my DD is a freakishly strong 5'5 130lb 13 yr old (14 next month) that has been swinging a 33" -10 cf5 for the last year. We are looking for a new bat and cant decide if we should drop down to a -9 or stay with a -10 and just go to the end loaded insane or the likes. Ive done some reading about end loaded bats and they claim that they are designed for the "power hitter" which I would classify my DD. She bats in the #4 spot and had 10hr, 18 triples, 37 doubles with close to 100 RBI in 2013 (should be more but our #3 is a power hitter to lol). She had a 32" rocketech that weighed almost 26oz and had no problem getting it around, it was just to short for her after using the 33" for a while. So I guess the question is, is location of weight better than amount weight? or vise versa??

As a side note, I found a -9 for a great price and picked it up but I'm still unsure if its the right way to go.

We have both 33 insane, 33 RT, and team mate has 33 -9 cf5. Dd doesn't use any of them much...my $.02: insane doesn't feel that endloaded. RT feels wa hayyyyy more endloaded and heavier then an insane. Insane feels similar to a normal xeno IMO. The cf5 -9 is a bit more weighty. I think you made a better choice with the -9.

Oct 10, 2011
DD wants to try going from a -9 to a longer balanced bat. She's only 5'6" but according to one sites bat coach that factors in the player's weight, their #1 choice for her would be a 34 -10 balanced bat, followed by a 33" -9. We are hoping for better control and more plate coverage.
If your daughter likes the CF5, I'd probably go with a -9 balanced, which is barely over 23oz from our experience. Why switch to an end load if she's already a rock star? I doubt she'd notice much of a weight difference. We personally LOVE Easton's bats but they have a totally different feel.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
DD wants to try going from a -9 to a longer balanced bat. She's only 5'6" but according to one sites bat coach that factors in the player's weight, their #1 choice for her would be a 34 -10 balanced bat, followed by a 33" -9. We are hoping for better control and more plate coverage.
If she like the CF5, I'd probably go with a -9 balanced, which is barely over 23oz from our experience. Why switch to an end load if she's already a rock star? I doubt she'd notice much of a weight difference. We personally LOVE Easton's bats but they have a totally different feel.

Knowing what she swings, you may consider a -8 cf.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It has been my observation that some bats seem to have more "flex" in the handle. It is like swinging a golf club with different shaft stiffness-es. A Xeno and Mako have a much stiffer feel than a Demarini. Not sure how others measure up as I don't have a large assortment of bats to choose from. On our team the power hitters all prefer the stiffer shaft, while the slappers prefer more flex.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The RT is probably closer to an honest -6 or -7 even though the decal says -9.
The drop is only the difference between the weight and length. End loading is a hard, rubbery goo that is poured onto the end cap to make the bat heavier at the end. Supposed to improve the m.o.i. by creating more of a whip. Its a preference as to what feels comfortable to her.

Jul 2, 2013
With the statistics you are giving, just let her decide.

We have a 2012 Xeno 33 drop 9. Mine is a power hitter (HS Jr). She has messed around during the last couple years with her teammates newer bats. Keeps going back to this bat and is getting the performance.

Very soon, if not already, your DD will be telling you what bat she wants, and you as Dad will have little say (other than money).

Apr 1, 2014
My daughter noticed the difference between a -9 and Insane. She was asking me why her equivalent bat felt so much heavier without realizing she picked up the -9 to demo with. She is only a 110lb so that is probably why she can feel the difference. Yours maybe not so much. However, best to have her swing them for herself and pick something that is comfortable. Try to find a demo house or a place with with good return policies.

Dec 7, 2011
Great question. This has been rolling around DD's & my head recently too.

My DD, since in HS, has been using end-loaded Insane & RT. These seemed to work good in HS but when TB comes around and it's almost all over 60mph I think the end-loaded bat becomes a bit cumbersome. This is just my opinion.

But then this year with D1 softball playing finally on tv I notice that the only Insanes I see in use are with slappers..... There has got to be a reason for that.....

So earlier today I broke down and bought DD her first balanced bat since 8th grade.

We'll see.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog