9:00 Drill hitting 20RPS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
Today I broke out the RevFire and checked IR2's spin rate on both the 9:00 drill and full circle (stepping). I was pleasantly surprised to find her spinning at 20RPS with a nice 1 to 7 spin axis on the 9:00 drill. I was equally dismayed to see the spin drop to 17RPS in the full circle throws. One, among many things, we'll need to work on is stabilizing the shoulder and having a more relaxed whip/snap through release. She's working too hard, once she relaxes and quits trying to artificially add speed with her shoulder by dipping and raising it I believe she'll gain more consistency and greater speed/spin. She's throwing 55mphs right now stepping, we're in serious training on drive mechanics using Java's sticky.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Does her speed increase or the quality of the spin decrease with full circle throws?

(Nice work BTW...)

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
I didn't have the radar gun with me today but will next time. She hasn't learned how to sequence consistently yet which takes away from the pitch most of the time. Every now and then she'll pop one out beautifully, hard spin pulling the pitch down with a nice pop in the glove (55mph). Funny thing is I can tell when a beautiful pitch is coming before it ever leaves her hand. The kinematic sequence is oh so critical for true speed and spin. All of this is done with a step versus a proper drive off the rubber. Half of our practices now are working on dry drives using the two-step advocated by JavaSource. My hope is once we've got a properly sequenced drive most of these problems will clear up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd