8U Coach Pitch Softball hitting drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 10, 2015
Hello,

Softball season is once again almost upon us. I was looking for some insight on some hitting drills for my 8U Softball Girls. The beginning of last season they were hitting very well, but toward the end of the season they're hitting suffered, for what reason I haven't a clue. I would really appreciate some advice on any hitting drills that would keep it fun and interesting, but also teach them the skills needed for the next level. I have confidence in this forum for the simple fact they were excellent on defense because of the drills and techniques I've found on this site. Thank you in advance for any assistance in this matter.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The best teams, that I see develop around here - give a parent a specific drill to set up and run. So, like Low Tee work. That person is in charge of the home plate, the tees, the balls and the net. He/she learns all that there is to learn about that drill. AND, He/she keeps her nose out of anyone else's drill. I think that 4 drills, with 2 girls at each station, is good. That leaves one other small group that can be snagging grounders, etc.

Feb 10, 2015
The best teams, that I see develop around here - give a parent a specific drill to set up and run. So, like Low Tee work. That person is in charge of the home plate, the tees, the balls and the net. He/she learns all that there is to learn about that drill. AND, He/she keeps her nose out of anyone else's drill. I think that 4 drills, with 2 girls at each station, is good. That leaves one other small group that can be snagging grounders, etc.

Thank you for your reply, We have stations setup between myself, and 2 other coaches. I was looking for actual drills that people are using to develop them into better hitters, but also fun and keep them interested at the same time.After a while the drill getsmonotonous and the girls lose interest. We have a bucket game at the end of each practice where the girls split in 2 teams and we put 2 buckets stacked on top of each other and a Gatorade bottle on top of it. We hit pop flys and grounders to each team and they get points for hitting the bucket (1), hitting the bucket and knocking the bottle off (2), and if they hit just the bottle they get (3). The winning team gets a helmet sticker at the end of practice. they absolutely love it. I'm looking for hitting drills like that, that are fun, they look forward to, and will develop them into better hitters for the next level.

Nov 2, 2015
Thank you for your reply, We have stations setup between myself, and 2 other coaches. I was looking for actual drills that people are using to develop them into better hitters, but also fun and keep them interested at the same time.After a while the drill getsmonotonous and the girls lose interest. We have a bucket game at the end of each practice where the girls split in 2 teams and we put 2 buckets stacked on top of each other and a Gatorade bottle on top of it. We hit pop flys and grounders to each team and they get points for hitting the bucket (1), hitting the bucket and knocking the bottle off (2), and if they hit just the bottle they get (3). The winning team gets a helmet sticker at the end of practice. they absolutely love it. I'm looking for hitting drills like that, that are fun, they look forward to, and will develop them into better hitters for the next level.

I'll be coaching an 8U team for the first time this year. Nervous and excited at the same time!
I was thinking about a drills that could make it fun as well.
One that I thought of is similar to your throwing drill.
Split the girls into 2 teams, so it's 5 on 5 or 6 on 6.
Have a 3B, SS, 2B, and 2-3 OF. Net or a coach at 1st
Coach pitches.
1pt for a single, 2pts for a double
Defense gets a point for each out.

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
Happy Gilmore is a favorite all around. I've used it with my oldest DD since she was 5. Pretty sure when she was that age she didn't know it was gonna help her. It all depends on skill level I guess? Over the Line might be a good one. You set up 2 cones or gloves about 25-30 ft apart and have your defense set up a 2-2-1 or 2-2-2 all depends on how many kids you have. Hit one past the first 2 it's a single then 2b and 3b. We were set up around 150 ft from where we hit to the fence. Goes over, it's a dinger! Lol they pitched to themselves but 8u I think soft toss would be the way to go. You start with an 0-1 count or whatever you think is good. Maybe a 5 pitch rule. Make it fun, that's what it's all about. Remember it has to be inside the lines and any ground ball to the first set of girls that's caught is an out. Same goes for pop flies (duh) lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 7, 2013
Play a hitting game called "Last Girl Standing". How it works:

The players line-up along the fence with their helmets and bat waiting for their turn to bat. Each batter gets two pitches (coach pitch) to hit a ball fair to the outfield grass (line drive or grounder). If they don't (foul ball, swing and miss, infield grounder, etc.) they are "out" and now have to play defense anywhere on the infield dirt. They have a chance to bat again if they keep the next batter(s) from hitting the ball to the outfield (it needs to be a clean fielding of the ball or line drive/pop-up caught). If not, the batter is still "out". Players who hit it to the outfield grass, get to bat again. Once through the line-up, the remaining batters only get one pitch to hit it fair and it gets progressively harder to hit the ball to the outfield with so many infielders. If only one player is left "last girl standing" she needs to validate her win by hitting the next pitch fair.

The beauty of this hitting game is that its not only fun and competitive, but it teaches the players to be aggressive during their at-bat since they only have two pitches (or one pitch in the second round) to hit the ball hard and fair. It also helps the infielders who have to field the ball cleanly to get the batter out and get to bat again.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal

The players line-up along the fence with their helmets and bat waiting for their turn to bat. Each batter gets two pitches (coach pitch) to hit a ball fair to the outfield grass (line drive or grounder). If they don't (foul ball, swing and miss, infield grounder, etc.) they are "out" and now have to play defense anywhere on the infield dirt. They have a chance to bat again if they keep the next batter(s) from hitting the ball to the outfield (it needs to be a clean fielding of the ball or line drive/pop-up caught). If not, the batter is still "out". Players who hit it to the outfield grass, get to bat again. Once through the line-up, the remaining batters only get one pitch to hit it fair and it gets progressively harder to hit the ball to the outfield with so many infielders. If only one player is left "last girl standing" she needs to validate her win by hitting the next pitch fair.

The beauty of this hitting game is that its not only fun and competitive, but it teaches the players to be aggressive during their at-bat since they only have two pitches (or one pitch in the second round) to hit the ball hard and fair. It also helps the infielders who have to field the ball cleanly to get the batter out and get to bat again.

BE FOREWARNED!!!!!

Your team will want to play this again, and again, and again, and again. Leave enough time at the end of practice to do this more than once.

Feb 10, 2015

This is the stuff I was looking for!!!! Thank you very much!!! I will definitely use this at the end of practice.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Another very fun, easy and quick one is hit the coach. I would do this right at the start of practice because a round is so quick and at that age at rec we always had some latecomers.

Need 1 coach pitcher for each 4-6 players. Players surround a coach at whiffle length, coach just pulls whiffles from a bucket or bag fairly good pace, pitching to one girl after another. You can do 1 pt for any ball hit back that hits the coach, or 2 for a line drive if you want. Play to some number.

Feb 10, 2015
Thank you all for the input.. Anyone else have any drills kind of like "Last Girl Standing" that they'd like to share?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd