8U bat dilemma

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Gotta get on the bandwagon here; at this age it just does not make sense, I remember DD playing soccer literally outgrew her cleats before season was over. You can get a decent quality bat for $50 or less (sounds like you already have one and nothing is wrong with it) and it is going to do just fine, work on her mechanics at this point just making sure she does not develop any bad habits and that will take you a lot further than a bat.

Aug 24, 2012
Researching new bats for my daughter who just joined a tournament team. She will be 8 in December, and she is about 4'2 65lbs. I am looking for a -11 bat, so the options for a decent bat are somewhat limited. She borrowed a teammates CF5 (28/17) at a tourney this weekend and hit it well. Before she was hitting a Mayhem 27/16. I want to avoid the lighter bats (-12) as much as possible, while also not dropping $300 at this age.

After hours of looking online at bats I am basically down to the 2012 CF5 and the Anderson Ignite. The biggest difference here is composite vs metal. I know the higher end Anderson bats get raves, but there is not much out there on the Ignite. It may all be preference, but is there a big performance difference between metal and composite, especially at this age? Also, anyone have any info/stories on the Ignite?

On a side note, just found this site last night and the info and feedback on here is pretty top notch.

Thanks!

if she hit well with the CF5 then get her a CF5.
As far as composite or metal, at 8U, i dont think they have enough power to make the composite walls flex.
CF5 IMO is the hands down best composite -11, then the Avaritia, but then again theres not that many -11's too chose from. I think there are still some Worth Eclipses available.
Easton Synge too but thats -11.5.
Synge>Eclipse

I actually grabbed her a NIW 28/17 Eclipse for $31 this week - not my top choice but too good a deal to pass up. I figured we could give it a shot, and it allows me some time to find a better deal on a CF5 -11. The Anderson Ignite I saw was $109...I am impressed with the Anderson reviews, just not much out there on the Ignite specifically.

I thought about the Synge, and also the Reaper Light and Vendetta in the -12, but I am having a hard time going with that large of a drop.

Apr 1, 2010
Heck, a NIW composite for $31, you're right, no way to pass that up! Where did you find it and do they have any in a larger size? :)

And as everyone is saying, for a small girl who isn't going to have a boatload of power and who's going to outgrow it quickly anyway, it's best to save your money and spend it on hitting lessons instead of the fanciest bat. The younger she works out her mechanics, the more fun she'll have hitting!

eBay, and yes there are larger ones out there from same seller. I can get ou the info if you like. Came with a receipt for the warranty as well if needed. Bat it's great so far for her. I did find a Easton synergy speed srv4b for $99 tonight in a 29/19 and 30/20.... Thinking real hard about grabbing one for her bag to grow in to at that price. The 2012 Vendetta is also $99 on closeoutbats. We have had some lessons, and doing more tomorrow. (like my use of "we" there. ;-)
Heck, a NIW composite for $31, you're right, no way to pass that up! Where did you find it and do they have any in a larger size? :)

And as everyone is saying, for a small girl who isn't going to have a boatload of power and who's going to outgrow it quickly anyway, it's best to save your money and spend it on hitting lessons instead of the fanciest bat. The younger she works out her mechanics, the more fun she'll have hitting!

Apr 1, 2010
DD had an Easton synergy clarity srv1b in 30/20 that I got from eBay. It was a great bat for her; I think it was the first time she started swinging a drop 10 bat that had a lot of pop. I think she turned 11 when she was hitting with it, if that's any help on timing.

IMO it's perfectly ok to say "we" on lessons. After all, I'm driving her back-and-forth and trying to pay attention so I'll know what she needs to practice! And paying too! :)

I'm going to go check out the 'bay. Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA