7U or 8U???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
Why are there even 7U or 8U tournaments or teams? Shouldn't they just be doing fun scrimmages or league games? What happened to Little League??

At 8U, they all play Little League, or Babe Ruth, or whatever local league there is. Those leagues typically run for three months a year, but some girls really enjoy playing the game and want to continue.

Those girls are typically the best players, so they put together All Star teams and travel to other towns to play and even enter a tournament or two. Why? Because playing softball is fun.

Developing a love of the game and for playing on a team is the most important thing they get out of 8U. Yes, there are some foundations they come away with, but as @pattar said you’d get more quality skills development one on one.

I’ve said this before, but as someone who coached an 8U travel team, the thing I’m most proud of is that nine of the twelve girls on that team are still playing in high school. That’s what it’s all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Why are there even 7U or 8U tournaments or teams?
If there are teams that young playing tournaments it's because adults want to.
Screenshot_20220503-070801_Chrome.jpg
That 👆
And
Status makes people do weird things.
There is a false sense of superiority included with travel ball/tournaments.

Then theres the fun part to play softball!
I absolutely don't mind an entire weekend packed full with it,
Caution,... it becomes a fun habit,
and then it becomes your life! 😄

Last edited:
May 13, 2021
View attachment 25483
That 👆
And
Status makes people do weird things.
There is a false sense of superiority included with travel ball/tournaments.

Then theres the fun part to play softball!
I absolutely don't mind an entire weekend packed full with it,
Caution,... it becomes a fun habit,
and then it becomes your life! 😄
So you are basically saying that anyone that plays anything other than what is referred to as rec ball before the age of ____ are irrational people unable to think for themselves and make rational decisions. That seems to be painting with a broad brush.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
So you are basically saying that anyone that plays anything other than what is referred to as rec ball before the age of ____ are irrational people unable to think for themselves and make rational decisions. That seems to be painting with a broad brush.
Wow you completely came up with something irrational yourself because I didn't say anything at all like that.
Talk about painting with a broad brush their Rembrandt LOL

Simply what I said was people like to do things as groups people like to be in a mob with each other. The adults are making the decision. And people like to build their status, tournaments offer the opportunity to win them.
Thats it.

Then I commented softball is fun.
The weekend packed full of softball is a weekend of fun!

Last edited:
May 13, 2021
Wow you completely came up with something irrational yourself because I didn't say anything at all like that.

Simply what I said was people like to do things as groups people like to be in a mob with each other. The adults are making the decision.
Thats it.

Simply what I said was people like to do things as groups people like to be in a mob with each other. The adults are making the decision.
Thats it.

Simply what I said was people like to do things as groups people like to be in a mob with each other. The adults are making the decision. And people like to build their status, tournaments offer the opportunity to win them.
Thats it.

I guess I just miss interpreted the first half of your post. For me it doesn’t matter what age someone is or what sport they are playing, as long as it is constructive and they are having fun.

radness

Dec 13, 2019

I guess I just miss interpreted the first half of your post. For me it doesn’t matter what age someone is or what sport they are playing, as long as it is constructive and they are having fun.
To put into perspective herd mentality that people will spend far more money than they can really afford to go be part of Colorado tournaments. Even though rationally they could stay in their own area and play all of the same type of competition and most of the same teams, a group of people will spend over $20,000 to go play in ONE tournament somewhere else. Could be considered a bit of mob mentality. Everybody else is doing it so they have to do it keep up with the Joneses and pile on board ...

it's just a perspective to the discussion

Not a Jerry Maguire life statement LOL

May 13, 2021
To put into perspective herd mentality that people will spend far more money than they can really afford to go be part of Colorado tournaments. Even though rationally they could stay in their own area and play all of the same type of competition and most of the same teams, a group of people will spend over $20,000 to go play in ONE tournament somewhere else. Could be considered a bit of mob mentality. Everybody else is doing it so they have to do it keep up with the Joneses and pile on board ...

it's just a perspective to the discussion

Not a Jerry Maguire life statement LOL
My take on the money side of playing travel ball is. If you are not or have not already saved/set aside money for future education expenses, you are probably participating in an activity you can not really afford. This is my opinion and others may have a different take.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles