7-year-old girl kicked off baseball team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
More competitive? Seriously crazy daddy alert! And he's cutting SEVEN year olds for not being good enough? The heck?

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Just to play devil's advocate, what would you think of some boys playing on your DD's 8U softball team?

Mar 13, 2010
Just to play devil's advocate, what would you think of some boys playing on your DD's 8U softball team?

Considering I coach a team that has exactly that?

Until puberty there is no difference between boys and girls. They have similar strengths and that is the main thing. It's not till puberty that it becomes such a marked difference. I remember playing U16 mixed softball and it was much, much harder against the boys. Their skill level was much higher.

Oct 22, 2009
PA

We actually allow boys to play softball in our Little League. We have not had one yet, but our by-laws allow it. In addition, in our HS, there is a boy that plays on the girls varsity field hockey team because there is no boys field hockey team.

And whatever you might think of Little League, there have been girls that have played in the Baseball Little League World Series, so I don't buy the argument that you need to have an all boys team (at 7 or 8!!!) to be competitive.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
May 7, 2008
Tucson
My DD played baseball in 3rd grade. I doubt that this guy is sanctioned by Little League. I hope he doesn't have any DDs and I feel sorry for his wife, but I doubt that he is married.

I would like to know more about him. Did he play HS, college ball or is he a "wantta be?"

The little girl is certainly better than her brother and if they have been taught anything, the little boy isn't getting it - but he is 6. I did think it was funny that they were playing catch and throwing at that big window.

Feb 3, 2011
Depends on whether they can throw and hit. If they can, then I've got a spot for them.

If I were selecting a team of 7yo prospects, I would take that girl over her brother.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
While I think its unfortunate that this coach is "discriminating" against this girl because of her gender, my question is why do parents insist on having their daughters play baseball if they have the option to play fastpitch softball? Why not support the girls program and promote the game of fastpitch which really is a different game than baseball?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
In this case, it was a family that wanted 2 kids close in age, on the same team.

Around here LL softball is a joke, while LL baseball is some better. I wouldn't hesitate to put a girl in baseball when she is 8 or 9. She might as well do a different sport, like soccer, though, if she is interested in softball. You have 2 choices here, play rec softball which hardly compares to real softball or play TB, which is 12 months a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24