6th grade Verbal Commit--the middle of the story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2022
To be honest it’s still terrifying having a 2024 with a verbal commitment. I honestly wish when the moved the talk date back they would have moved the NLI date up. Do away with this verbal crap all together. The kid is either good enough to take a chance on signing as a junior or you do nothing with them until they are good enough to sign. The pressure my kid feels has got to be ridiculous. I know that’s what it’s going to be like for her in college fighting for her spot every day but I guess it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 27, 2021
What does this article really trying to get across? There are no details. No depth at all.

Seems like a young "prodigy" that is not on the gravy train anymore.

Oct 4, 2018
This is all going to get worse as more schools learn how to use NIL money. I’m sure EIS etc are licking their chops figuring out how they can get in on the money making. NCAA will be about 5 years behind the curve figuring this all out. If they handle this half as well as they handled the 5th year eligibility situation, its really gonna be a wild ride, and people are gonna be hurt.

I can’t wait until the moment I never have to think about all this again.

Good luck to all of you whose kids are headed for this mess. I know good old Bill and Mike and Uncle Tony tell you how awesome it is (and maybe it will be for your kid), but you better have your head on a swivel. Yeah, this means you. No matter how awesome and special you are told your kid is. Be careful.

Curious to get your thoughts on this. I know next to nothing about NIL.

So, will young women get used to:

1. Make money from NIL because they are great softball players?
2. Make money from NIL because they are pretty?
3. Will schools make money off of them for the same reasons?

Oct 4, 2018
What does this article really trying to get across? There are no details. No depth at all.

Seems like a young "prodigy" that is not on the gravy train anymore.

That was my take too. Many of the Extra Innings articles don't seem to have a consistent message, more just stating what happened.

May 13, 2023
Holy mackerel when will people get over the gender Factor of 'people appeal' plenty of men get attention because they are pretty also.

Marketing/internet/tv is all about hype attention drawing material. Whatever can do that will work. Strange bizarre unique included.

Dec 11, 2010
Curious to get your thoughts on this. I know next to nothing about NIL.

So, will young women get used to:

1. Make money from NIL because they are great softball players?
2. Make money from NIL because they are pretty?
3. Will schools make money off of them for the same reasons?
I honestly don’t know the answer. I would think it would have to do with the perception that the player will perform. I don’t have a feel for whether “marketability” will figure in other than at the very beginning of NIL companies looked for kids who already had social media presence.

Wen I posted that I was thinking more about how cash infused into most situations can cause undesirable effects.

May 13, 2023
Know of students who were recruited early it did happen on certain teams that they would be put on the back burner at showcase events until it came time for Nationals or priority competitive venues that's when they would play.
Certain players wouldn't tolerate that and left those teams and found teams that would play them regardless of being recruited already

Don't know the situation with this particular player but BB Styths teams are generally stacked.
Perhaps to play 🤷‍♀️ She would have to perform better than the other elite players on the team.
Just because someone is verbaled doesn't mean much when the entire team is.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Since the topic has seemingly come up…. A player on DD’s team made many remarks to team mates about her hair, her appearance and how she had to remember camera angles when she was leaving first base for the dugout if a pinch runner got put in for her.

This “elite highly ranked EIS player” probably should have been thinking more about how she could help her team, about having more competitive at bats and not striking out in three pitches. But whatever.

May 13, 2023
Since the topic has seemingly up…. A player on DD’s team made many remarks to team mates about her hair, her appearance and how she had to remember camera angles when she was leaving first base for the dugout if a pinch runner got put in for her.

This “elite highly ranked EIS player” probably should have been thinking more about how she could help her team, about having more competitive at bats and not striking out in three pitches. But whatever.
Well.... not the first time ego got the best
(or worst)of a situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi