6 y/o wants to learn to pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
Here is some advice..

https://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/30652-10-things-weve-learned-ride.html

Also, you're in the right place.. DO NOT allow your DD to take any instruction from any coach, parent or anyone who doesn't know how to coach IR.
Thank them respectfully but pull your kid out of that situation.

I get the point that bmd is making. My DD works countless hours developing her pitching skills, often times at the expense of hitting lessons etc.
On most teams parents of non pitchers do not appreciate the sacrifice of the kids and parents. DD's current travel team coaches and parents absolutely get it and respect these kids who pitch but in my experience that's the exception versus the rule.

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa
teach her proper "leap and drag" mechanics from Day 1. This will save her and you years of correcting illegal and less efficient mechanics; AMEN TO THAT. My DD did not get taught that when she first started pitching and now we are spending so much time correcting this.

Aug 23, 2016
Don't let her pitch in a game until she's ready. I've seen a lot of girls decide they're awful because they were put into a game before they could throw a strike.

When she does start throwing strikes, don't expect consistency. Even a very good athlete will have days where nothing is working. That's even more true for an 8U player.

Don't emphasize speed above all else. There are a couple of girls in DD's league who would be much better pitchers if they weren't told to throw each pitch as hard as they can. Both girls tend to lose movement and control when they throw harder, so while the pitches are faster they aren't better.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD was best fielder in 8U so she was P. High five, you threw a strike that inning.

If she is starting at 6 my question is ... Is she looking for a Team?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles