40mph riseball?? Please help me through this

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
Thanks for all the validation - all what I was thinking but thought maybe I was missing something. He keeps referencing a girl in our program who is three years older and has a fast rise and a "float rise". aparently it's an unhittable pitch for her - but she throws in the 60's so I'm sure the off speed rise is more low 50's. I could see how that might be effective. But 40 - Yes that's a high flip change. I seem to remember reading on one of the threads a while back someone referenced an article or did the math that actually proved how many rps the ball needed to overcome gravity - it was astronomical. I would love to get that info to show the coach when he asks why I don't want her throwing that.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
How fast is her change up right now? if she is throwing 55 and her rise is 50 isn't her regular change enough for him? will he even know the difference if she throws her change and says it's the slower rise?? ;)

That's exactly what I was thinking! She has a great change at around 40-45. He had her totally trying to kill herself at practice the other day to slow the rise way down. Nonsense!!

Mar 18, 2013
MN
Have her put a postage stamp on it...

A 40mph rise is a flip change... that needs another postage stamp... right up there with a knuckle change.

Your dd's rise spin is very good. Focus on maintaining that for now.

Alternatively, he could just put the ball on a tee for the opponent... ;)

As far as throwing her off speed rise (50)... at her age you probably won't get a lot of use from it... unless there is an absolute stud at the plate. As hitting improves, off speed becomes a great tool for disrupting timing... but against weaker batters, you're simply giving them a better chance.
Thanks Java. She doesn't intentionally throw it off speed at 50 that's just what she's getting on the pitch when she throws full out. I'm going to have her continue to focus on the spin and not taking speed of with a funky grip or slowing her body down. Seems much less complicated!!

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
That's exactly what I was thinking! She has a great change at around 40-45. He had her totally trying to kill herself at practice the other day to slow the rise way down. Nonsense!!

When the time comes... there's a simple trick to maximize the spin and get some offspeed feel on that pitch... but usually it works best in the 57-59 range. So, when she hits 62-63 regularly... we'll work on that. Always here for your DD, she's a great young lady. And her rise spin is rare.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
When the time comes... there's a simple trick to maximize the spin and get some offspeed feel on that pitch... but usually it works best in the 57-59 range. So, when she hits 62-63 regularly... we'll work on that. Always here for your DD, she's a great young lady. And her rise spin is rare.

Thank you Mike! I so wish we had access to you and your expertise! She's gained so much just from your drive mechanics threads and the time she spent with you at the clinic. If you're ever anywhere near MN let us know!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Changing speeds is never a bad thing, regardless of what pitch you are throwing (as long as you are not throwing it over the middle of the plate). All a pitcher needs to have a reasonable chance for success is to get the ball 1/2" or more off the sweet spot of the bat. You can achieve that with movement (vertical or lateral), varying speed, or, even better, both.

PS Throw whatever off-speed pitch she wants and, as long as it doesn't bounce, the OP's DD's coach probably will believe that it's a slow rise.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The only thing I can think of as to why hes requesting a 40 mph back spinning pitch, is an attempt to have the same spin orientation as her go to pitch but as a change up....but as said above, this will be like a flip change in that it'll hang up there and be a fat pitch to hit

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez