3rd Base Signals

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
You can make them as simple or as complex as you want. Since your asking I assume your a new coach. Just as you expect the players to practice, you also need to practice giving signals. I would say most of the new coaches I have seen always gives the signal at the end. This does take practice to develop.

This year we went to those quarterback play wristbands. I just give out a number. We have the 80 play ones so there are mutiple numbers for SAC Bunt for example. First Tournament this weekend so we'll see how it goes.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
There are various types of signals - where I am in the box, if i am even in the box, last names, various verbal cues, how I indicate the number of outs, etc. Or have the first base coach give them, sometimes. I have been criticized for not giving the batters a signal (by parents) when truthfully I am signaling to every batter - I just am not using things that they are accustomed to.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Just remember that the signals have to be easy for your girls to understand or you'll be seeing a lot of "time, blue" followed by your batters coming to visit you at 3B. Even college players miss signs. If you spend more than 10 seconds giving signs, IMHO, your signs are too difficult. This is a problem that has been plaguing DD's 14U TB team all season. Yet even after multiple missed signs that result in player punishment, multiple "time, blue" visits to the 3B coach, and multiple comments from parents (including a former MLB hitting instructor dad) about the signs being OBVIOUSLY too difficult, the 3B coach remains hard-headed, will not adapt to the intellectual level of the players (let's face it, not all players are Einsteins) and continues to get upset when signs are missed.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
You really only need 5, hit, take, bunt, fake steal and steal. Flail, flap and dance all you want, give an indicator, let's say touch the nose, and then the very next sign is what you want them to do. Add a few flaps after the real sign and that should suffice. All told, should take about 3-5 seconds to get the girls back in the box thinking about the next pitch.

Dec 18, 2010
We have about seven motions that mean anything the rest was just noise at (10U) At 12U we changed to an indicator signal kept the originals and added a couple but every tourney we would change indicators i.e. the indicator will be when I move the bill of my hat back and forth the very next thing I do is the sign you take next week it would be touch my right elbow and we practice during our weekly batting practice the signs during wrap up

Nov 1, 2009
We use simple gestures with an indicator coupled with a numeric sign. The girls are told which is valid before the half inning. If you do batting practice in a spring training environment it is helpful to practice the signs too.

Keep it simple and stress execution.

Number is just like the typical catcher to pitcher sign. At first you might just use the last number given but eventually you can use the innnings, ie second inning use the second sign or you can use first number flashed twice. Numbers are much easier for younger girls to understand than gestures.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
We have a new coach on 3rd who thinks he's in the pros. I can't tell you how many times we've had girls bunting with 2 outs and no one on base only to get yelled at for missing the sign. They all claim he's too fast and does too much but he won't simplify it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs