3 steps and then throw to 2B?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 4, 2015
Georgia
Would appreciate another opinion...or two!

My DD is an 11 year old catcher. She's been working with a catching instructor for about a year and has done pretty well under her instruction, IMO. My DD's travel ball coach is trying to change the way she throws down to 2B. Right now she is coming up out of the secondary position, stepping forward with her left foot and throwing - almost in one fluid motion. Her travel ball coach wants her to take 3 steps and then throw. He thinks taking more steps before throwing will help get the ball to 2B faster. Of course, her catching instructor disagrees. My plan is to set up some communication to get everyone on the same page, but I'm just wondering if this 3 step method is a real method and, if so, is it better? I've never noticed a catcher take 3 steps before throwing to 2B.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Lots of 11 year olds can't make the throw to second without it looking like a lollipop or bouncing it in the dirt. This should be pretty easy to put to bed with a stop watch.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Buy the NECC DVD and ask your catching instructor and TB coach to do whatever the DVD recommends....
NECC.jpg

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
3 steps is not faster. But there is a device that could be used to show this to the coach, its called a watch. Have him measure her pop time with her current technique and then with his 3 step silliness. Once the empirical proof is in front of him he should stop with this.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Pick the correct answer from the following choices:

a) Your catching coach is right
b) Your head coach is right only IF your DD runs faster than she throws and is foolish not to suggest she run the ball all the way to 2B if that is the case.
c) Your head coach needs to be reminded that this is softball and not the triple jump event in a track and field meet.
d) JAD is right about recommending the NECC DVD
e) a stop watch doesn't lie
f) all of the above

Jun 24, 2011
I'd suggest finding a new travel team. If he's giving you that advice with a straight face, he's probably got other suggestions that are equally clueless.

Is his daughter the other catcher?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad