3 10u Students - Feedback Appreciated

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
Have 3 very talented kids I'm working with. Trying to get them to feel a proper sequence right now. All 3 of them coil as they load and bleed open, so as of today, they are all crowding the plate because they have MAJOR difficulties with anything on the outer half (and a lot of stuff down the pipe as well). Did several drills beforehand in order help them feel it, but I always say that everything kinda goes out the window whenever the ball starts moving. All of three of them made an adjustment with their hands (a little more out front) so they could see them. With that, they tried to hold them there until they felt themselves stride forward. I will say there was improvement, but at the same time, I know there are a multitude of different things with each kid that need attention. Trying to tackle one thing at a time. Have fun out there everybody.

Jun 8, 2016
If you start the hands that forward I don't think you can wait till the stride out to move them back, there won't be enough time unless you rush your sequence. Notice Davis gets them to a "normal" position first then starts to move out.

Jun 8, 2016
My DD used to start them in front of her head (did that on her own) too (I think she was 8 here):

I didn't like it but left her alone until I realized that all of the extra hand movement was making life more difficult trying to fix the myriad of things wrong with the above swing (in particular the barrel flattening before launch). That said she still has a myriad of things wrong unfortunately :LOL:

Sep 29, 2014
The starting the hands forward and then as leg goes forward hands go back is a good teaching drill maybe but not 100% I like it as standard for a stance but they all look rushed because I'm guess this is front toss from 20-25 ft? All that being said I always say my first measure is toe touch and they don't look bad. Obviously would be a lot to break everything down. Watch KK I think she really leans her back knee over her foot , also looks like she drops the bat to level and then swings flatter and then has an arrested follow through, she looks like a strong athletic girl maybe bigger than others and very athletic but by 12U/14U they technique issues will hold her back. With Maddie it was hard to tell because everything seems really late like she wasn't adjusting to the front toss every swing was super rushed and handsy but I can't tell if thats her real game swing. For Kensie hard to tell if she is getting a true load upper torso is really turning but not sure it's a good coil, does look like she turns the barrel well.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
The first two are not coiling in, they are coiling out.

The last one coils in a little, but has other problems. Back foot pointed backward, and back forearm is vertical at toe touch, causing severe bat drag..
no3.JPG

Jun 8, 2016
The starting the hands forward and then as leg goes forward hands go back is a good teaching drill maybe but not 100% I like it as standard for a stance but they all look rushed because I'm guess this is front toss from 20-25 ft? All that being said I always say my first measure is toe touch and they don't look bad. Obviously would be a lot to break everything down. Watch KK I think she really leans her back knee over her foot , also looks like she drops the bat to level and then swings flatter and then has an arrested follow through, she looks like a strong athletic girl maybe bigger than others and very athletic but by 12U/14U they technique issues will hold her back. With Maddie it was hard to tell because everything seems really late like she wasn't adjusting to the front toss every swing was super rushed and handsy but I can't tell if thats her real game swing. For Kensie hard to tell if she is getting a true load upper torso is really turning but not sure it's a good coil, does look like she turns the barrel well.
They looked rushed partly because, like I said, you cannot start your hands where they do and then only move them back when you move out..it won't give you nearly enough time.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Two of them are disconnected as mentioned. Shoulders stop turning and the hands/barrel still have a long ways to go before making contact.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Have 3 very talented kids I'm working with. Trying to get them to feel a proper sequence right now. All 3 of them coil as they load and bleed open, so as of today, they are all crowding the plate because they have MAJOR difficulties with anything on the outer half (and a lot of stuff down the pipe as well). Did several drills beforehand in order help them feel it, but I always say that everything kinda goes out the window whenever the ball starts moving. All of three of them made an adjustment with their hands (a little more out front) so they could see them. With that, they tried to hold them there until they felt themselves stride forward. I will say there was improvement, but at the same time, I know there are a multitude of different things with each kid that need attention. Trying to tackle one thing at a time. Have fun out there everybody.

I like the approach of having them move forward to get into a leveraged position while the hands stay idle.. Similar effect of the fake bunt and swing.. Definetly won't have time to do this off a machine without some type of timing mechanism.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06