2nd year 14 - Suggestions for improvement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She looks pretty good at 12 o'clock. I would prefer the glove to be pointing at the catcher, but she isn't too bad.

The problems start after 12. Slow down your DD's video and look at your DD between 12 and release. You'll see that her upper body shifts forward. After release, she continues almost "walking" toward the target. She isn't getting enough momentum transfer, so she is losing speed.

Pitching is about transferring momentum. So, the idea is that the body is going in a straight line to the target, and then the brakes are applied, and the ball explodes out of the hand. Think of a brick on the dashboard of a car, and you want the brick to fly through the window. You get the brick to fly through the windshield by slamming on the brakes, not by gently slowing down the car.

The poster child for complete momentum transfer is Whitney Canion of Baylor, the best pitcher in the 2011 CWS. She has *NO* movement of her body toward the catcher after release. So, almost all of the momentum she developed is transferred to the ball.

116rt6v.gif

Here is another example: Lauren Delaney from Northwestern. Look at the position of her right foot after release.

<embed src="http://share.ovi.com/flash/player.aspx?media=ratwod.11506&albumname=ratwod.softball" width="512" height="420" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>

You get the idea? Sometimes you might see the pitcher bring the right leg around, but it is done well after the ball is released.

At your DD's level, there isn't a magic drill. You have her throw the ball, and then have her focus on leaving her right leg behind the body similar to the pitchers shown above.

Additionally, her release is wrong. Your DD has fallen victim to the great "back of the hand faces the catcher after release and the fingers touch the shoulder" syndrome. It is wrong. The correct follow through is IR (internal rotation) such hat the forearm rotates on release of the ball counterclockwise at release, just like a baseball pitcher's forearm rotates clockwise on release. Watch the Delaney video again, and look at the arm motion. You'll see the forearm rotate counterclockwise.

Rather than go through all the stuff about about internal rotation, take a look at this thread. it has about everying you want. http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/1348-internal-rotation.html

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
She is digging a trench with that back foot. That is really slowing her down. Forget the the hip slap. Forget the pointing the elbow at the catcher and work on getting the pitch to appear more fluid. I suspect that she is snapping the hips closed, also. No doubt that she is throwing strikes, but she can get better. A lot better.

Jan 27, 2010
Catscratch, your DD is not taking advantage of her strengths by walking thru the pitch. She has no leg drive off the rubber. She is trying to muscle the ball rather than use the momentum transfer Sluggers mentioned in his post. I also agree with Amy that she could be alot better. The person talking the whole time while she is pitching is not doing her any favors either. Find a PC that correctly teaches Leap and Drag style of pitching. There are quite a few adjustments needed in her mechanics to allow her to reach her potential.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2010
Thank you all so much for your feedback. I have read as much as I could find regarding IR.
Until I find a PC willing to each IR, etc. I am on my own.
Couple of questions if you don't mind..
1. If we place our IR focus on the release, might the arm at the prior positions work itself out?
2. Ifhe releases the ball before closing the hips will that allow for more momentum?
3. Might pitching barefoot help ease up on the trench digging?
4. Would drawing lines in the dirt to strive for help with the leap?

Just looking for the best plan to start.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
1. If we place our IR focus on the release, might the arm at the prior positions work itself out?

I would tell her to not focus on her arm at the end. To just 'let it go' She appears to have IR down when she's not forcing the arm up.

As to barefoot, no, no, no, no. She could seriously hurt herself.

Lines would be good. I would find where she initially strides to and then increase it by 5 inches.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas

I assume you are talking about her touching her right shoulder with the fingers of her right hand. All you need to do to fix this is to stop telling her to touch her right shoulder and encourage her to throw as hard as she can. The natural motion is for her to do IR.

2. If she releases the ball before closing the hips will that allow for more momentum?

"Releasing the ball before closing the hips " is pitching 101. It is elementary mechanics. That fix alone won't do it.

Here is the drill she needs to be doing for momentum transfer:

<embed src="http://share.ovi.com/flash/player.aspx?media=ratwod.12124&albumname=ratwod.softball" width="512" height="420" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>

(Yes, I know she is touching her shoulder. But, if you look carefully, you'll see the IR. )

Look at the way she drives toward the target and then stops herself.

Nov 29, 2009

What I tell the girls I'm working with is to imagine they are leaping over a puddle of water and as they are leaping they are skimming their big toe on their trailing foot across the top of the water just enough to make a ripple in the water. The analogy seems to help them understand what they need to do.

I will say this. My DD was a trench digger. The opposing pitchers hated having to share the circle with her. The would always have fill in her marks every inning.

Jan 27, 2010
Thank you all so much for your feedback. I have read as much as I could find regarding IR.
Until I find a PC willing to each IR, etc. I am on my own.
Couple of questions if you don't mind..
2. Ifhe releases the ball before closing the hips will that allow for more momentum?
4. Would drawing lines in the dirt to strive for help with the leap?

Just looking for the best plan to start.
Thank you.
When I first read this post, I didn't know if you were serious about pitching barefoot. If she did pitch barefoot, she would definitely lighten her toe drag after the skin on her foot was gone and the pain became too severe. (tough love) Drawing a line to increase stride is a practice many use. She needs more knee bend and push out, instead of up and down. Tell her to stiffen the leg at toe touch and pull her thighs together(push foot toe towards stride leg heel) and stand tall at release. Stay down the power line and not force the hips closed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors