2nd base drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2012
There are five feeds from second base to the short stop at second base.(that was poorly written) Second base has more decisions to make on type of throw/feed depending one where ball is hit.

Ball hit right of second base where the ball take her toward the 2nd base then it is always an underhanded toss

Ball it right to the second base player, it is a backhanded toss to second base

Ball hit to the left of second base player but can still get in front of the ball - pivot and throw 3/4 throw

Ball hit to further left but second base play can still get in front of ball - replace feet, sort of like a jump pivot and it is a stronger throwing position

Ball hit to the left of the second base player and is caught outside of her body - reverse pivot for the throw.

short stop feeding second base has less options and the feeds are easier.

I hope that helps

Jul 20, 2013
Biggest thing is she has to learn how to eat the ball up and charge it aggressively as needed. Good knowledge of the plays and where the ball should go, quickly. Sometimes we just talk about things, seeing the field.

Reading a good bounce is something we always work on, pivots to each base and especially the long pivot to 3rd. We focus a lot on moving to the ball efficiently, turning the hips, no false/stutter steps, staying low through the ball, etc.

This is about all we usually do just me and DD at the field with our net, cones, and balls. I find that working about an hour including warm up is good, we either do or already did some hitting for an hour too.

But yeah, all that other stuff everyone else said is good too. A lot of the backhand work we do in the warm up and if it comes into use on the field at practice it does but we noticed our 3B and SS get more backhand action.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan