22 players on ROSTER

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
At least a couple of people on here understand what a team concept is. And it isn’t about I paid my money for My DD to be on a team, so she gets to play. Major League sports teams PAY players to be on the team and some don’t get to play.
Growing up, that is the way it was. In HS that is the way it is, best 9 play, everyone else better pick it up!

I call BS. the entire purpose of youth sports (separating from college and pro, different animals, if you want to pay my DD then sit her, that is different) needs to be about the development of the players (in the case of TB, that the HC chose/selected). If that is not your primary focus as an adult involved in youth sports, please disengage, no matter how much you win, because you are not serving the people supposed to be the prime beneficiaries, the players. Even in HS, coach better develop ALL his players, because you never know when that 14th player is going to be needed due to injury, academic issues, etc. to play. I fyou do not want to play a player, do not select them and accept the families money. the trouble is too many take 10-12 just to have backups in case of injury, etc., and for the money, and it is not fair to those players

If you do not think a player will play for you, do not select them, it is that simple. roll the dice with 9 and accept the results, good and bad. when you have to forfeit because you only have 7 one sunday, that was your choice.

Apr 26, 2015
DD has always played on teams with small rosters 10-12, but recently chose to join a team that will carry 16. She wanted to play at a higher level of competition than what she has been playing and she also wanted one last chance to play with girls older than her. She knows she will have to fight for playtime and work harder than she has ever worked.

This team is arguably the best team in our state. She went to a tryout with 100+ girls and killed it. I have never seen her perform the way she did that evening. She thrives under pressure. The coach made ONE offer that night - to DD. She is so excited to play with girls who love the outfield (and the game itself) as much as she does. She knows that competition drives her and she can only get better.

Showcase teams in our state all carry between 16-20 players. DDs team pays for all travel for the girls and has a long standing reputation of being the elite club in the area. (My sister played for the same club back in the 90s)

That said - I would never want her to play on a team of 22+ (until *maybe* college - and of course that would be her choice - not mine).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
If you do not think a player will play for you, do not select them, it is that simple. roll the dice with 9 and accept the results, good and bad. when you have to forfeit because you only have 7 one Sunday, that was your choice.

It's a business so they are going to find the 8 they want to play plus some pitchers and a hitter and if some other suckers are willing to financially support the org to have DD sit on the bench, then the org will be happy to take advantage of that situation.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
" I was told that even with all of these players, they pretty much get the same number of AB's and time in the field (not sure how they do that with 30 players). "
I wont say he lied to you so lets just say was completely forthright. Or it depends on how you define "pretty much the same." LOL

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
22 on the travel ball roster.

Why not just have 2 teams?!

:) Are there any reasonable reasons for this ?
Or can any reason be debunked ;)

GO TEAM'S
And later down the road
The coach said
"Dont want to hear complaining about playing time, if you dont like it, leave the team."

Coaches action growing the roster to this size cause lousy situation, that induces agitation on the team.
What the heck coach?
Whats your goal?

Bad planning
Bad communication skills
= Bad coach

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez