2020 NFHS Preseason Guide - Detached equipment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
I've seen a catcher use his mask to scoop up a ball in a baseball game. It's a 3 base award in baseball!

NFHS baseball is a three-base award for a batted ball and a two-base award for a thrown ball (including a pitch). Not sure about other codes. I can look up OBR later today.

The only difference to NFHS softball is softball differentiates between a thrown ball and a pitch. NFHS softball awards three bases on a batted ball, two bases on a thrown ball, and just one base on a pitch.

EDIT: Looked it up quicker than I though I would. OBR appears to be the same as NFHS softball using the 3-2-1 approach.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2015
Well, I got it right but somewhat by luck. My play was a bunt and I didn't realize it changed for thrown and pitched ball. Thanks!

May 29, 2015
The definition of a batted ball is any ball that comes in contact with the bat, fair or foul result.

However, the rule specifies “a fair batted ball”. So a foul ball is just a foul ball, nobody gets anything.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Just received the 2020 NFHS books this week and I had already posted this on an umpire forum ... thought it would be good conversation here as well. It is an extremely rare circumstance which you may never see, but those make for fun conversation!

There was an editorial change to 8-4-3(d). This deals with what happens when a fielder uses a piece of detached equipment to pickup or stop a ball.

The change to the rule was an editorial change to clean up language so that the penalty awards are applied to runners and the batter runner, and it no longer includes the batter. (It never should have included the batter.)

In the article it includes a case play with two parts (a and b). The part a I am fine with, but I think the information on part b is incorrect.

With a runner on first base and no outs, a batter swings at a 3-2 pitch in the dirt. The ball gets past the catcher who then picks the ball up with her helmet/mask. According to the article, R1 is awarded second base (yes) and the batter (designated as B2) is awarded first base.

I disagree with that ... the batter was retired (she is no longer the batter) and does not have the opportunity to become a batter runner on the uncaught third strike (due to the runner on first), thus she should NOT be awarded first base.

(Part a is the same play, but with a 2-0 count. The ruling on it is correct: award the base runner second, the batter stays at bat with a 2-1 count.)

Thoughts here?
Sorry for arriving late to the party, but I do agree with your assessment. The batter was officially retired once she swung and missed at the 3-2 pitch with R1 at first and less than two outs. No way should she be awarded a base.

Let's say a batter hits a line drive to F3 with a runner at third base. F3 catches the ball, and then throws to F5 to try to double up the runner who took off on the batted ball. F3's throw is airmailed, and F5 throws her glove up to knock it down, making contact with the ball. All runners are awarded two bases when this happens, so are they saying we should also award the retired batter two bases? That would be consistent with awarding her first base in part b of the case play you provided.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying