1st time catcher advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
I was hoping I would never have to ask for catching advice , but my 13 year old DD has gotten a taste of catching during her middle school season and she loves it. She wants it to be her #1 position. So , my questions are: What is best instruction available (online , DVD ,etc)? What do we need to do to stengthen / protect her knees?

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Look on youtube for exercises to help strengthen the knees and also to make her quicker. You will also want to strengthen her arm. Search the forum for this. Thanks for advice from the members of this board, my 13yo DGD has one of the better arms in the area and last year she had a hard time throwing to 2nd base.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
Catching is the physically toughest position to play on the team. Stretching exercises are very important in ensuring your catcher stays healthy in the legs. Strengthening the thighs by doing lots of squats will also do wonders for keeping healthy knees. After 5 years of intense catching, my dd has never had knee problems. She has tried Kneesavers for about a month, didn't like them.

Catching can be gruelling, especcially if it is hot. I hope her team rotates the catchers (there should be at least two, and one back up) so they don't suffer overuse injuries (muscle tightness leading to pulls).

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The New England Catching DVD is the top product on the market! Catching Coach paid such attention to detail and he understood how to produce a DVD that makes it easy to understand the finer points of the position. You won't be disappointed!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06