16U pitcher in search of velocity...need some help please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
Not experienced enough to give advice but I have a question that pertains to your video. My DD does the same and I'm curious to how much, if any, does that back leg have to do with her speed/accuracy. To me, when I see other pitchers pitch, the back leg looks more active. My DD and OP's DD both look like the back leg is just along for the ride dragging behind (hips included). But other pitchers have a lot of movement in their hips and back leg. Maybe something to look at or may be nothing. Hopefully one of our more experienced members can chime in on the back leg/hip to let us know if this is fine or if there's something missing there. Good luck to you and your DD.

I think this is an issue as well...again she is fairly sound mechanically...I don't see a big issue with her hand and ball placement it is slightly facing third versus up but from 9 o'clock on she looks good. Her back foot drags and does not allow her hips to release correctly (on time). I have really wanted to make a video explaining this concept for a while but just never go around to it. But try this experiment to get the correct "feel" that I'm trying to explain.

1. Have your daughter begin her motion and do her best to freeze in this position focus on the rear foot don't let her cheat just as in the picture her heel needs to be on the ground.

footdrag.jpg

2. Now while she is in that position have her move her heel up off the ground into this position...she should feel her hip release as another poster mentioned she does get there but its too late after the ball is gone. It's not the fact that her foot is an anchor dragging her down that is the big issue (although there is a slight amount of truth to it) with this type of mechanics it is with your heel on the ground like that your hip and surrounding muscles can NOT be in the correct position and giving you maximum benefit.

Amanda pitching release.jpg

You may see some pitcher bounce their heel of the ground or more at a 45 degree angle of the ground and not pointing straight but the important factor is it is lose and not being artificially held down you know it has to be being held back because at some point it has to come off the ground because its simply not natural to have your heel on the ground in that position...again we talk about it all the time but compare it to your overhand motion you plant your back heel sideways like that but as your motion comes forward you release your heel off the ground before you let go of the ball imagine pitching overhand and leaving your heel on the ground

overhand.jpg

Last edited:

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
I think this is an issue as well...again she is fairly sound mechanically...I don't see a big issue with her hand and ball placement it is slightly facing third versus up but from 9 o'clock on she looks good. Her back foot drags and does not allow her hips to release correctly (on time). I have really wanted to make a video explaining this concept for a while but just never go around to it. But try this experiment to get the correct "feel" that I'm trying to explain.

1. Have your daughter begin her motion and do her best to freeze in this position focus on the rear foot don't let her cheat just as in the picture her heel needs to be on the ground.

View attachment 12575

2. Now while she is in that position have her move her heel up off the ground into this position...she should feel her hip release as another poster mentioned she does get there but its too late after the ball is gone. It's not the fact that her foot is an anchor dragging her down that is the big issue (although there is a slight amount of truth to it) with this type of mechanics it is with your heel on the ground like that your hip and surrounding muscles can NOT be in the correct position and giving you maximum benefit.

View attachment 12576

You may see some pitcher bounce their heel of the ground or more at a 45 degree angle of the ground and not pointing straight but the important factor is it is lose and not being artificially held down you know it has to be being held back because at some point it has to come off the ground because its simply not natural to have your heel on the ground in that position...again we talk about it all the time but compare it to your overhand motion you plant your back heel sideways like that but as your motion comes forward you release your heel off the ground before you let go of the ball imagine pitching overhand and leaving your heel on the ground

View attachment 12577
Something I've noticed with my dd when it comes to adduction of the drive leg is clearance. There is a pause around 8 o'clock to allow the arm to come through. It something were working on with a little bit of a lean and trying to get the knees lined up. Allowing for a straight line from armpit to hip to brush off of. Notice the posture here at release.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad