16U pitcher in search of velocity...need some help please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2015
Thanks for all the comments. Amazing. I should have posted two years ago.

We know about the fs resistance issue - she has a hard time stopping. 5'9" and 175 lbs. 15 years old.

Mar 4, 2016
I seen the momentum carry her through the front side resistance in the walk ups but the "in game" video it looks like she had good front side resistance. Are you guys seeing it in the game video as well?

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
This isn't a fair view between the two, but look at Amanda's hips. Her hips are way out in front. Compare that to your daughters. (She looks almost straight up) That definitely helps with resistance and can help speed up the back leg. Now, how you fix that is what you pay a pitching coach for!

2018-02-05 16_33_08-Greenshot.jpg

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We know about the fs resistance issue - she has a hard time stopping. 5'9" and 175 lbs. 15 years old

It is difficult to do.

The term is "FRONT SIDE" resistance...meaning the entire part of the body facing the catcher resists moving forward.

Your DD's torso moves forward during release. She is trying to keep her upper body over her feet, so she skips forward to so that her upper body is centered over her feet.

Another drill is three pump...She gets open, and puts the ball of her left foot on the ground. She lifts her left off the ground slightly and then rotates her arm. She lowers her left foot when the arm goes past the hips, and then she lifts the foot again for the next rotation. She does this three times, and on the third she throws.

The first time she does this, you will see that her upper body rocks back and forth. She will wear herself out moving forward and back.

The goal is for her to rotate the arm and tap her foot on the ground without moving her torso forward during the rotations.

I seen the momentum carry her through the front side resistance in the walk ups but the "in game" video it looks like she had good front side resistance. Are you guys seeing it in the game video as well?

The DFP 2 video shows a pronounced hop forward.

Jul 31, 2015
Arm whip and front side resistance have come up again and again as areas of concern. We've also worked extensively on leg drive and timing.
The breakthrough here - thanks to all of you - is how much the lack of whip is sapping her speed.

Coach is constantly telling her to pull the ball, not push it (remnants of former HE instruction).
She has gotten better at fs resistance - the issue there has been developmental i.e. not enough leg strength.

She is currently working on getting more drive off of her back leg. Coach has her doing one lunge with each leg on the way up to the rubber, then pitching.
She also does some sprinter drills that have her nearly falling over forward before she pitches.
There are also some nice timing drills, which have her leap-stepping out before she begins the arm circle.

I can post some video if you're interested.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
my 2 cent....
Tips for speed based on these 3 clips
1. doesn't drive out as explosively as needed (less forces to resist against)
2. over rotates a bit (bleeds energy into her torso to prevent a hinge)
3. the bulk of her front side resistance occurs after the ball is gone... timing issues (needs to get the left foot down sooner to promote an energy transfer)

PM me if you'd like and I'll explain further

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I can post some video if you're interested.

Video would be great. Anything you have with the PC or taught by the PC would be awesome.

What does her PC suggest about her plateau. I'm reluctant to offer suggestions that aren't in support of what he has her working towards, but some insight on what his concerns and focus are would be helpful.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
my 2 cent....
Tips for speed based on these 3 clips
1. doesn't drive out as explosively as needed (less forces to resist against)
2. over rotates a bit (bleeds energy into her torso to prevent a hinge)
3. the bulk of her front side resistance occurs after the ball is gone... timing issues (needs to get the left foot down sooner to promote an energy transfer)

PM me if you'd like and I'll explain further

Great points.

I couldn't think of how to explain what she was doing with upper torso, but the "over rotation" is a perfect description.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad