13 year old swing mechanics help!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Yes, of course I do. That wasn't the point, just that the actual weight is trivial compared to an average girl's strength. This girl, in particular, seems very athletic and fully capable of throwing up to 24oz without the arm straightening.

What you did say is...

So, to me, you blamed the "sequence" for the lead arm flattening. I contend that it is a more complex cause and effect.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to come off as confrontational. I actually thought you had made a good point until I started to reason it out more. The answer is more than coil and stretch. Hand path is the reason for the arm flattening. The hands need to stay in front of the back elbow.

In this young ladies case I do blame a poor sequence for her lead arm flattening. In my first post in this thread I also said this:
"Notice how when she slots her back elbow, her front forearm simultaneously gets up off the letters. This is a key position that I look for. Yes, the front elbow straightens when she initiates her swing, but it doesn't collaspe. Which tells me she is doing a decent job of getting connected."

I included this comment in my post because IMO, establishing connection early is want sets up a good hand path. When I watch the clip of this young lady, I see a player who does a decent job (not great, but IMO the basic movements are evident and can be easily tightened up) of establishing connection. She is set up for a good hand path. Then at swing initiation, the front arm suddenly straightens; but it doesn't collapse. The fact that it doesn't collapse is IMO a big key to pin-pointing the cause of the front arm straightening. IMO, a front arm that straightens is not the same thing as a front arm that collapses. Two totally different problems requiring two totally different solutions.

Finally, I don't think you are being confrontational. Even if you were, it wouldn't bother me as this is just a message board. I was a little grumpy yesterday as I was not feeling well. I apologize if my post was a little testy.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I don't particularly care too much for this cue from Epstein. I don't think that the rear elbow must rub up against the body. I don't think that is a hard and fast absolute.

"The hitter’s rear elbow must slot close to, or rub against, their body. If the swing does not launch with the rear elbow in this position, it will not be possible for the hitter to stay inside the ball."

See part highlighted in RED. This gets back to an excellent comment Ken made in the thread dealing with lining up the knocking knuckles. Kids often times learn better when the instructor gives them exact coordinates. I wish Epstein's old message board was still available as his detailed responses to specific questions gave a more complete picture of what he teaches.

Apr 14, 2010
I am not a coach just a mom who has attended alot of lesson. I don't know the lingo but what I can tell you is what I see.
1) She's beginning with the bat too far back. Should be up closer to her head for more trigger.
2) Her stepping is very odd to me. She begins with her legs too far apart which appears to be forcing her to come back then load.
3) Her Step for loading should be not much wider than the width of her foot. Shes loosing alot of power and bat speed.

Simple Steps we learned:

Lift(bat)
Negative Motion (bat and body back)
Step
3 inches
Turn Hips/Hands to the ball
Connection
Extension
Follow through

Count these out on this video. Can you clearly define where too much is going on and precious time is is being deflated by much loss of power?

I can tell she is a hitter but with a little clean up she could be so much better!
That's just coming from an old home town softball mom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd