12u Catchers Mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 31, 2015
Texas
Hey guys. I wanted to get your thoughts on these 2 catchers mitts. DD has a well used Nokona 32.5 that she doesn't care for. She says it feels too small and doesn't seem to have enough padding. She plays 12u travel ball and is a big 12 year old, 5'6" 150lbs and extremely strong. These are the 2 gloves she is looking at:

Vinci 34-Inch Adult Fastpitch Softball Glove

Akadema APM-66 Praying Mantis 34.5 Inch Fast Pitch Softball Catcher's Mitt

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If you're looking for the best in padding, the Vinci is at the top of the list...not just compared with the Akadema. I have yet to come across a catcher mitt - by any manufacturer - with more padding than Vinci.

Aug 8, 2010
The Akadema isn't in the same ballpark. Certain Libertys, Mizunos and Nokonas are fair comparisons but not that particular Akadema.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The Akadema isn't in the same ballpark. Certain Libertys, Mizunos and Nokonas are fair comparisons but not that particular Akadema.

Vinci and Akadema are very different mitts, for sure. That said, not every mitt works for every player. My DD's experience with a Vinci JCV-22 was not successful. Vinci's great padding reduced the feeling of the ball so much that she sometimes didn't know if she had caught the ball or not, and ended up dropping balls that were already in her mitt. The Vinci and my DD were simply incompatible. Switching to a Mizuno GXS92 solved the issue immediately. She is now using an Akadema AAR64, and loves it. However, her pitchers are pushing the limits of what the Akadema's padding will tolerate, and we will have to find another solution in the not too distant future. I'm happy to report that the Vinci has since found a new happy home with another DFP'er, and is getting much love.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Big fan of Vinci as I've said numerous times here. DDs both use them and absolutely refuse to switch to anything else. DD1 is going to a Louisville-sponsored university in 2017 and is dreading having to give up her beloved JCV-VM.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I use a JCV-22/33" myself to catch my DD.
GREAT catcher's mitt.

not a Kip-leather model,
so easy on the wallet, and also easier/quicker to break-in.

I don't have especially large hands, but I've never wished for a larger (34") mitt.

Aug 8, 2010
Vinci and Akadema are very different mitts, for sure. That said, not every mitt works for every player. My DD's experience with a Vinci JCV-22 was not successful. Vinci's great padding reduced the feeling of the ball so much that she sometimes didn't know if she had caught the ball or not, and ended up dropping balls that were already in her mitt. The Vinci and my DD were simply incompatible. Switching to a Mizuno GXS92 solved the issue immediately. She is now using an Akadema AAR64, and loves it. However, her pitchers are pushing the limits of what the Akadema's padding will tolerate, and we will have to find another solution in the not too distant future. I'm happy to report that the Vinci has since found a new happy home with another DFP'er, and is getting much love.

Didn't mean to sound harsh on the Akadema. It is a fine glove for the right level but it won't take the pounding of faster pitching as well. If Vincis do nothing else, they protect the hand very well, sometimes to the detriment of "feel" until they become well broken in. No mitt is perfect for every player, as Eric's daughter can attest. It can be a very personal and subjective thing.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Didn't mean to sound harsh on the Akadema. It is a fine glove for the right level but it won't take the pounding of faster pitching as well. If Vincis do nothing else, they protect the hand very well, sometimes to the detriment of "feel" until they become well broken in. No mitt is perfect for every player, as Eric's daughter can attest. It can be a very personal and subjective thing.

We agree 100% on all of this ^.

I really wanted the Vinci to work for my DD. It's one of the best-crafted mitts available, and I nearly kept it for myself. I will never tell anyone not to try a Vinci.

Aug 31, 2015
Texas
Thanks guys. I will be purchasing a Vinci this week

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loudee16